This Page

has been moved to new address

Tantrum Taming Little Legacy 16

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Tantrum Taming Little Legacy 16

Thursday 27 October 2011

Tantrum Taming Little Legacy 16


8pm. I am sitting with my back to the inside of his bedroom door. He shouts. He pulls at me then tries to clamber over me. He yanks at the handle. He tries to hit me.  I pick him up and put him on his bed kicking and screaming.  I start reading a book to him.  He starts to lob things off his bed. Which is when Monkey hits me in the face.

I'm furious, but something catches me in time, makes me see the funny side.

'Hey monkey, I didn't know you could fly' I say.

My boy laughs.  A delicious little chuckle.

I carry on, 'Hey monkey, what's wrong with Mr G?' I make the monkey toy edge towards him. 'Hey Mr G why are you cross?' I say in my best monkey voice.

'Hmmmphh,' says my son, but there is a flicker of a smile in the corner of his mouth.

'Hummph?' I say as monkey,  'What's humphh?'

He laughs some more and pulls his duvet back on the bed.

I lay monkey down on the pillow next to him and make his paw tickle his cheek and his head cock to one side as Monkey asks 'Can I sleep in your bed?'

He pulls the duvet over his head, hugs Monkey and accepts my kiss on the cheek.


Distraction is the name of the game. Puppets are an amazing bridge when emotions are running high.  Naming emotions helps children to cope with them. Things I know thanks to my mum, who was a fabulous mum, gran and playtherapist.
@AResidence

Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by inspirational people. Feel free to link up a little legacy you've been thinking about this week, or to leave one in the comments. Here's the code and here's more on Little Legacy


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 27 October 2011 at 12:21 , Blogger rightfromthestart said...

What a lovely post . Your mum sounds like a gem, its so hard nor to lose it sometimes, I'll remember this story when I am ready to throw the towel in.

 
At 27 October 2011 at 15:24 , Blogger Rachel said...

Wise, wise ladies, you and your mama. I will keep this chestnut in mind. We are deep in tantrum territory right now at Chaos HQ. Prognosis bleak. Do send backup. I am very much losing daily battles...hopefully someday I'll win the war.

Good luck - I admire your patience and unflappability :)

 
At 27 October 2011 at 20:02 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

I love a distraction technique. I get more stressed than usual at bedtime and find it harder to keep my cool.

It's amazing how children can seem totally grumpy one minute and then transform into completely different child just seconds later.

 
At 28 October 2011 at 08:15 , Blogger gidders1 said...

Such a lovely post, definitely one to store about the toys, naming emotions and distraction! I'm mentally writing this one down!!

 
At 28 October 2011 at 14:19 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

You rule. I needed this post more than ever in my life right now. I too have a monkey (no not that one-the kid) who enjoys a tantrum. I know it's normal yada yada yada but biting and hitting hurts. Off to buy some puppets. And some camomile tea. Thank you xxx

 
At 28 October 2011 at 23:12 , Anonymous TheBoyandMe said...

Your mother taught you well, I love her legacy!

 
At 31 October 2011 at 20:35 , Anonymous Mummy Matters said...

What a fab post, this one is definitely going into my favourites! I love the idea of the Little Legacies too, I can see I need to make a cuppa, sit back and get reading, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home