This Page

has been moved to new address

The little red camper van saves the day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: The little red camper van saves the day

Wednesday 20 October 2010

The little red camper van saves the day

I can't believe it didn't hit me straight away when I saw The Gallery prompt was 'the colour red'.  It's a big red van and its sat on our drive.  And it has nothing to do with Halloween, (sorry I'll try harder next time!) except perhaps the circumstances in which it came to us, which were pretty nightmarish. 

This is not just a campervan.  It represents hope, freedom, new beginnings and huge amount of happiness. We bought Win the campervan at a difficult time, my mum was going through chemotherapy, we had just had Mr G and were reeling with the shock of having two under three, my Grandma had died days before G's birth, Mr A's business was facing a huge sink or swim turning point and for a long time life was a confusing blur.  I am only just starting to realise how much of the last couple of years I have forgotten.

The van is called Win, after my Grandma, whose inheritence money paid for her.  We just wanted to get away, not completely, just now and again, at a moment's notice, whenever life got too stressful.  I think Grandma would have approved.

We had some fantastic trips in her and fell in love with getting out to the country and camping.  But it wasn't quite as stress free as we had hoped.  We were forever having to repack the van if we wanted to move, Mr A is tall and was always bumping his head, Mr G was fine for a bit in his moses basket, but once he outgrew it he was too small and wriggly to sleep up top with Miss L.  So we decided to swap for a caravan. 

Although like Jeremy Clarkson, I had reservations about caravans, I am now a total convert.  We get away once a month for a weekend, even in the winter, more in the summer.  It is the perfect antidote to suburbia (We live in the second biggest concentrations of under 5s in the UK - I need to escape the bugaboo and phil and ted traffic jams urgently).  It keeps our family happy and together.

So sadly Win is for sale, fairly urgently, but Winnie the caravan stays.  Miss L is gutted, she loves Winnie, but Win the campervan will always hold a huge pace in her heart.  She was the first step on our road to recovery.  I doubt a camper will appeal to many parent bloggers of small children, not after what I have said here, but if you know anyone after a VW, get in touch!

Mr G when he was weeny enough to sleep in the boot

Miss L and Winnie the pooh bear, our camping mascot, asleep in the top deck

Mr A at the wheel

Me and tea.  Horrid photo, god I look stressed! I was then.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 21 October 2010 at 07:53 , Blogger This Mid 30s Life said...

How wonderful to take the family away in your own caravan! That's really cool. Bet your kids love it, I know mine would.

 
At 21 October 2010 at 19:41 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hello! I am glad someone else gives caravans the cool factor. We got so much stick over it. But it really has made a difference to our family life.
Thanks for following - over to yours now!
Px

 
At 22 October 2010 at 14:15 , Blogger MichelleTwinMum said...

Ohh a weekend away every month, now that does appeal! Yep I could do a caravan - just need the money for one! lol

Mich x

 
At 24 October 2010 at 21:46 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi Mich, lovely to meet you.
Will prob pay the loan off the year the kids decide we are too uncool to spend a weekend in a caravan with (they're only one and four now), lol, at which point my husband wants to blow it up top gear style, but hey i think the sacrifices were worth it.
Thanks for visiting.
Penny
x

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home