This Page

has been moved to new address

Building a Tinkerbell House

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Building a Tinkerbell House

Saturday 15 January 2011

Building a Tinkerbell House

Mr A bought Tinkerbell on DVD for Miss L. I expected to be disappointed by girly fairyness but actually Tink turns out to be adventurous, cheeky and fascinated by mechanics. And I had underestimated how much I would be drawn in by the fairy world. I have always loved minature worlds. That's why I love doll's houses, The Borrowers, reading books and writing fiction.

In the film the human girl makes a fairy house which Tinkerbell gets trapped in. Our DVD came with a free mini model of this which we dutifully made. Unfortunately the door was too small for the mini Tink
to fit though, 4yo Miss L was distraught. Instead we got a box and built this:


So far Tink has an egg box bed, a felt duvet, a table, a plate of snacks, toys, pictures of cars and buses (I think because of the scene where Tink gets fascinated about car mechanics) and a rather huge Ikea nightlight. This alone took Miss L a good hour, but I am sure an older child would take the decor and furniture making even further. 

Once when I had lost a tooth and was expecting a tooth fairy visit my mum made a fairy playground out of the objects on my desk.  She also left me a copy of Beatrix Potter's The Fairy Caravan.  It was the closest thing to magic I have ever come across.  I really believed in fairies.

Miss L keeps complaining Tink hasn't been. I am not sure whether to creep in and start creating the magic or whether at 4 she is too young to cope with the disappointment of never actually seeing Tink. I suspect she wants the reality to mirror the film.  A real live fairy. 

Truth, faith or pixie dust?

There are lots more lovely ideas for things to do with children over the weekend over at Thinly Spread, why not have a look. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 15 January 2011 at 11:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post! Def keep the magic going, even at 4. I once got a tiny letter from the tooth fairy with a tiny envelope and swirly gold writing and you're so right - it was pure magic! (Still got that letter too!) x

 
At 15 January 2011 at 11:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love fairies, believed for ages. Maybe I still do. Perhaps, this is like Santa - and you know my santa issues - but the overall view was tell the fibs, it makes the magic and it's magic that they love.
worry about the cost of therapy because the one person they trust in the whole world has told them a pack of lies to make a DVD more fun - later.
big hug Penny x

 
At 15 January 2011 at 11:40 , Blogger Utterly Scrummy said...

My girls all believe in fairies. Even the 10yo still does. What a brilliant fairy house, great idea to fill up a rainy afternoon. xx

 
At 15 January 2011 at 11:44 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that's lovely! Magic has been present in this house since the day they were born. My daughter is lucky enough to have a fairy who writes to her and in the summer we make houses in the garden for her. We all make houses in the woods when we walk and we love spotting really good fairy glades and imagining them dancing in the moonlight. Lovely post, thanks so much for linking!

 
At 15 January 2011 at 11:52 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Lovely to hear about all the fairy magic out there. Fairy letters - fab idea, my mum did that too, wonder if I have them still?
Gemma - It was partly your Santa post that inspired this one - thank you!

 
At 15 January 2011 at 15:54 , Blogger Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

Hello! My 4 year old has this DVD too, and loves it as well. I do indulge myself in this era - makes me feel snuggly!
Becky xx

 
At 17 January 2011 at 20:08 , Blogger Hot Cross Mum said...

That's so lovely. I completely believe in fairies and I'm sure Tink will have a marvellous time in there. Reminds me of making a house for my Sindy dolls from an idea on Blue Peter, complete with tiny soap and towels. I was so proud of it!

 
At 17 January 2011 at 20:15 , Blogger fenngirl said...

How lovely. We don't have the same fairy live in our house, as O is a boy, but he believes in the tooth fairy. I am going to live vicariously through your fairy house world. Please keep us updated!

 
At 17 January 2011 at 20:26 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Oh that is fab!

Like Hot Cross Mum I remember making something similar for my Sindy dolls :)

Oh and do pop in and create a little magic; perhaps leave a little letter? I don't see the harm xxx

 
At 18 January 2011 at 22:41 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hot Cross Mum and LUcy - Oooh I remember that On Blue Peter, I did one too.
Yep, I must create the magic! Will report back.

Fenngirl - I get so frustrated watching and not making, I just want to make my own, maybe that's the answer, why live vicariously!

 
At 20 September 2011 at 23:29 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

Oh I so need to do this - my daughter loves Tink. Great idea.

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home