This Page

has been moved to new address

Little legacy #4 get on the bus, cause no fuss

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little legacy #4 get on the bus, cause no fuss

Thursday 28 July 2011

Little legacy #4 get on the bus, cause no fuss

I am four, clinging on without realising it, to the last full days with my mum before I have to start school.  We are sitting on the back of the bus back from town, learning to sing abc.  I know I have her undivided attention for the whole journey.  My mind takes a picture and the moment stays crystal clear in my memory bank to this day.

Then I am five, sitting on the top deck of a double decker, again with my mum, holding the shelf in front of the very front seats, giggling and shrieking that we are going to crash into everything.

My 4yo is suddenly at an age I can remember being.  Sometimes that's painful, because it reminds me so much of the mum I have lost.  But last week it helped me out of a rut.  Recently I have been restless, I don't want to go to another playgroup, to go to the same park or be tripping over toys and scooters anymore.  It's partly down to bereavement, partly down to timing.  I needed to feel enthused about my parenting again.

So I thought back to what stuck out about being at home with my mum before I went to school.  I honestly can't remember a single minute of playgroup or a park. She would probably laugh if I was able to tell her that now.  All those hours spent pushing me on swings, breaking up squabbles, sitting on draughty community centre floors.

What I do remember clearly is taking the bus into town and going shopping.  So, I threw caution to the wind of childcentric activities and took my two on the bus into Nottingham.  It didn't disappoint.  They helped me choose two pairs of shoes and some make up.  We watched the clock in the Victoria centre and we had lunch in John Lewis.

But the best bit for them was the bus.  Meeting old ladies, watching police men and traffic, arriving somewhere new.  Oh and the bus stop, because it's right outside our house.


What do you do when you get in a parenting rut?  Oh, and pop quiz, which band and track inspired the post title?


little legacy A small thing handed down by a predecessor

@AResidence


Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors.  I am going to post one every Thursday. If you want to join me at any point, either as a project or a one off, there's more information here and a space to link up below, or simply join in through the comments.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 28 July 2011 at 19:24 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noo loves taking the bus with me and is looking forward to when Little E isn't in a buggy any more so we can go and sit upstairs on a double-decker!
I have to say when I'm in a parenting rut we get the baking stuff out and then she 'washes up' afterwards - hours of fun!

 
At 28 July 2011 at 23:04 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

We just about managed it without a pushchair, but we didn't get much done in town!
I loved your post about baking this week, thanks so much for joining me. We made flapjacks this afternoon, then packed them in a suitcase and when adventuring in the garden.

 
At 28 July 2011 at 23:44 , Anonymous Boo and Me said...

I have such similar bus memories! Really lovely read (yet again!) x
ps - Oasis?

 
At 31 July 2011 at 18:44 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

I'm glad you do x top marks! Looking forward to reading yours.

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home