This Page

has been moved to new address

Graduation Day came 17 years early

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Graduation Day came 17 years early

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Graduation Day came 17 years early



Last week was emotional.  Miss L and her friend Mr L made their first visits to their (different) primary schools and 'graduated' from the pre school they have both attended.  They were given mortarboard hats and certificates and sang a special song about their time at pre school.

It's sad they will go their separate ways, after being inseparable at pre school, but I hope their friendship stays strong, and I know they have the friendship of their little brothers, and their mums, to anchor that.

On the way to school Miss L asked me how the world was made and how people were made.  It struck me as a sign, on many levels, that she is ready for school.  Then rather spookily, last night Mr L's mum sent me a text to tell me she had been struggling to explain the universe and religion, in response to a never ending torrent of questions.  

The whole universe is opening up to them. It feels timely that they go to school.   But it's not easy, change is exciting, but change is unsettling.  For them and for us.  We've all shed some tears over the last week.  I won't be wailing at the school gate, I am too excited for her, but I think shedding a few tears is part of this rite of passage.


I absolutely love rites of passage, I think they are hugely important.  So I even managed to pull out the posh camera and take a half decent graduation shot.  Wonder if there will be another one in 17 years?
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12 July 2011 at 09:44 , Anonymous Midlife Singlemum said...

The mortar boards are adorable! Graduation is important at any level. One of my favourite graduations was when I graduated from the IVF fertility clinic to normal Obs and Gynae after a successful 6 weeks of pregnancy and achieving a foetal pulse.

 
At 12 July 2011 at 21:44 , Anonymous Kirsty said...

I was at a graduation just yesterday. My uncle (who's 50-sometihng) received his doctorate. I didn't realise until I read the start of his thesis that the whole thing tied so deeply with his life's work and 'purpose', and it really was an emotional occasion.

I love those pictures, good call with getting the proper camera out! School will be a big step for her but it sounds like she's ready to get a lot out of it.

 
At 13 July 2011 at 14:54 , Blogger Emma said...

Gorgeous pics! I love the mortar boards, what a lovely idea! I think it sounds like they have a firm friendship so there should be more future graduation pics too! Emma :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home