This Page

has been moved to new address

Reinventing the Fairy Story

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Reinventing the Fairy Story

Monday 3 January 2011

Reinventing the Fairy Story

Once upon a Christmas, a Queen bought Mixed Up Fairy Stories for 4yo Princess L:

Make your own fairy story
It's turned out to be brilliant on so many levels. It is really firing her imagination and encouraging her to invent her own stories.  I love it because I struggle with fairy stories that lack girl power.  I'm with Fiona in Shrek 4 who said life isn't a fairytale and that she rescued herself from the tower.   Miss L did get a Rapunzel doll for Christmas, but I don't want her to think life is about sitting in towers waiting for a prince to come and rescue you.  Fairy stories need reinventing.

Best of all it seems to be right on her humour wavelength, I have never seen her laugh so much at the silly scenarios she has created.  However, this was the scenario that made me and Mr A laugh:

Blimey Cinders!

Mixed Up Fairy Stories by Hilary Robinson.  Illustrated by Nick Sharratt.

Anyway is it just me who thinks some fairy stories need mixing up? 

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4 January 2011 at 05:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to buy it, it looks great. My kids are too old for it but I teach a lot of younger kids, we use a couple of his other books and they are very popular. Cheers for the heads up.

 
At 4 January 2011 at 11:51 , Blogger Kate said...

What an inspired idea! Think my little girl is too old but would it do for boys?

 
At 4 January 2011 at 13:30 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi missbehaving. He's a popular illustrator, my daughter loves all the fairy stories he has done.
Kate-it's a good mix of male and female characters, Aladdin, Jack and Ali Baba off the top of my head.

 
At 4 January 2011 at 14:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great book and brilliant for helping early readers/ writers to talk about the stories. Nick Sharrat is brilliant- have you read cornflakes and ketchup (or something like that)?
XxX

 
At 4 January 2011 at 20:29 , Blogger SLM said...

That looks like a great book, and one I might have to get my niece for when she is a little older (I think 8 months old is too young at the mo!)

 
At 5 January 2011 at 21:32 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

Looks super and I agree fairytales need updating. My Mum is a total feminist (thank goodness) so I grew up on a diet of stories-prob many made up by her mostly of strong female characters/active protagonists and am now creating my own through my film work. Times are a changing indeed. Will have to get that book.

 
At 6 January 2011 at 11:11 , Anonymous Parklover said...

My daughter loves Nick Sharratt, I've not seen this before and it looks great. She's got "Pants" and we've had "Shark in the Park" and various others out from the library - alot!
Kath

 
At 6 January 2011 at 15:04 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Honest mum - yep it's making me take a good look at the characters in the creative writing I am doing too. Your mum sounds like mine! Keep up the work sista!
Kath and ghostwriter - cheers for the recommendations! We love goldilocks and the foggy foggy forest.
Superlittlemen-a good investment for later i reckon!

 
At 7 January 2011 at 20:20 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Wow - that looks fantastic - I'll definitely be getting a copy.

Incidentally I'm completely with you - fairy stories really do need reinventing :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home