This Page

has been moved to new address

Music I want my children to love - Urban Storytellers

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Music I want my children to love - Urban Storytellers

Sunday 16 January 2011

Music I want my children to love - Urban Storytellers

I have been sharing musical tastes with Susanne at Ghost Writer Mummy and Becky at Hazel and Blue.  It started when I tweeted I was going through my old record collection at my parent's house: Dinosaur Junior, Ned's, Carter USM, CUD, Violent Femmes, Pixies, Blur.  Susanne challenged us to blog about the Music I want my children to listen to based on a post she did about Ben Folds -  I challenge any parent not to get misty eyed listening to Gracie.

I would like both my children to appreciate both these artists, but you may be able to guess why I have dedicated one to each child.  The two choices also have something in common.  I would describe them both as poets, as urban storytellers, as well as musicians.

Mr G, meet Gil Scott Heron.   Normally I have relied on friends, my little brother or boyfriends to supply me with New Musical Ideas.  Gil is an exception. I discovered him, all by myself, via an Acid Jazz compilation and I have always felt he was 'my' musical discovery. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is the classic many people have heard of.  I was lucky enough to see him play in Brighton.  He did not disappoint.

I am no music journo so in the words of people who are, he is  "the godfather of rap" and "the black Bob Dylan".  I'm not a big fan of rap or Dylan,  I like Gil because he led to Acid Jazz, but mainly because he gets across some seriously important messages.  His song Message to the Messengers encouraged a new generation of rappers to speak for change, to raise political consciousness.

Gil Scott Heron
Miss L meet Lily Allen.  She reminds me of sitting by the fan, in our old flat, seven months pregnant with you, in the hottest summer I have ever experienced.  Her track LDN reminds me of the city we left behind shortly before you were born. Part cynical, part celebration, LDN reminds me of my dilemmas with leaving London.

Most importantly Ms Allen represents some of my hopes for you to be a creative, feisty and imaginative young lady with her own take on the world.


Anyway kids, this will have to wait a bit because these two come with parental advisory.  But one day, I hope you'll enjoy them.

I also discovered my mum's i pod yesterday.  I am looking forward to a good listen and to adding some of her faves to my New Musical Revolution.  She likes a lot of folk, which maybe explains my love for storytellers.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Have you got tunes you want to share?  Check out Susanne's blog to link up. 

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 16 January 2011 at 17:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FAB post! Haven't heard Gil Scott Heron so will check him out! I agree with Lilly Allen and I ahve lovely being pregnant memories of her music too. Lovely
XxX

 
At 16 January 2011 at 19:43 , Anonymous Kath Parklover said...

Ah, we must be a similar age! I grew up near Stourbridge, so we were all excited about Neds (2 of whom my Dad taught) and PWEI (we used to regularly see Clint, the singer, on the number 9 bus on way to college.)
We listen to music all the time and CJ is developing good taste - her favourite is The Specials. I'm worried she will react against us by liking some kind of rubbish r&b when she'd older though!

 
At 16 January 2011 at 21:18 , Blogger Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

Two good choices! I have heard of Mr Gil Scott Heron, and for some reason I never managed to get his album, but I will def check him out now.
I have the Lily Allen album already and love it - I am going to share it with my Daughter, I think she will love it! B xx

 
At 16 January 2011 at 21:44 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Ghostwriter - def check out Gil!
Kath - indie gods on your doorstep, wow, I would have got no school work done!
Becky - loved the sound of your choice too :)

 
At 16 January 2011 at 21:51 , Anonymous @jencull said...

Haven't heard of Gil Scott Heron, must go have a look on youtube :) Jen

 
At 16 January 2011 at 23:23 , Blogger fran said...

I love them all!

See what you've started!

http://omammy.blogspot.com/2011/01/music-i-want-my-children-to-love-pearl.html

Thanks for the inspiration. xx

 
At 17 January 2011 at 11:35 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Jen - he is an inspiration, I always forget about you tube - good plan!
Oh Mammy - I love your choice, takes me back to sixth form.

 
At 17 January 2011 at 17:49 , Blogger Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

This is so ironic as my oldest monkey just took over my husbands Ipod in the last few weeks and has been making his own 'mixes' of his favorite songs- He listens to the ipod non-stop now- I will absolutely blog about his music influences.

 
At 18 January 2011 at 14:43 , Blogger Julie Sardinetin said...

Not really explored Gil Scott Heron before, and as I have recently been thinking that I have been stuck in a musical rut, this is a great excuse to go and listen.
As for Ms Allen - saw her live at Radio1's Big Weekend a couple of years ago and will never forget the face on the couple next to me who had brought their two children into the tent with them (4 and 2, at a guess) and she launched into "Fuck You"! Made me put my CDs out of small's harm pretty quick sharpish!

 
At 20 January 2011 at 12:32 , Blogger Maratene's Fine Wine said...

Not sure but music helps form a person. For me it was 70's punk and classic soul. Those two generes led me to everything from Maria Callas to the Black Keys. I hope to pass my love of music on to my girls. I went so far as to pick the music I wante to play when they were born, Stevie Wonder Musicquarium for Celia and Miles Davis Birth of the Col for Faye. I hope it place something in them they will carry for life.

 
At 20 January 2011 at 21:15 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Ren you just reminded me of my mix tapes I made from my parent's collection aged six. For some reason I mainly selected Elton John, and although he will always have space in my heart, it's probably the last album I would steal from them now!
Julie - that's hilarious. So glad you warned me just how much swearing there is!
Maratene - That's such a gorgeous thing to do, thanks for sharing those tracks, I love Stevie! I had emergency c sections with both kids so didn't choose, Miss L arrived to take that and Mr G to something classical. Wish I had paid more attention now!

 
At 28 May 2011 at 20:26 , Blogger Melaina25 said...

The Lullaby I sing to Blondie Boy is Ben Folds Five lyrics :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home