This Page

has been moved to new address

Little legacy #5 Jewels

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little legacy #5 Jewels

Thursday 4 August 2011

Little legacy #5 Jewels


During a bout of tonsillitis a few weeks ago, I did some big thinking. I read Joan Didion's My Year of Magical Thinking, a very insightful account of Didion's experience of grief. Didion made me think that, after a month of endless ups, downs, illness and corkscrews on the rollercoster known as grief, I was perhaps ready to step off, and step onto the one called mourning. The mourning ride is a bit gentler, still sad, but a more stable place, you can predict where it's headed, even steer your own course. I decided to climb a mountain, to blog about the little legacies mum left me, and I finally felt ready to ask my Dad to bring over Mum's jewellery collection, which I have inherited, to sort.

It's been comforting to look through mum's collection, and choose pieces I want to wear, it feels like part of her is with me.  I decided to take pictures to make sense of everything, of course there are familiar pieces I will never forget, but it was this picture of her brooches that really fascinated me.  Each one neatly captures a little era of it's own.  I like the bigger picture they make when put together too.  I have great memories of some objects, I can see 50s, 60s, 70s and 90s influences in them, they almost read like a timeline of mum's life.

(I don't know what blogger does to my photos, but this is nowhere near as snappy as the original, sorry).

Do you have any jewellery or precious objects you have inherited?  Or do you have jewellery that will form your own legacy?
@AResidence



little legacy A small thing handed down by a predecessor

Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors.  I am going to post one every Thursday. If you want to join me at any point, either as a project or a one off, there's more information here and a space to link up below, or simply join in through the comments.  

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 4 August 2011 at 12:57 , Blogger Mel said...

This is great. It is so wonderful to see how something like this collection of broaches can help to tell a person's story over time. I am sorry for the loss of your mother.

 
At 5 August 2011 at 08:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic taste your Mum had. I have some on my Nan's jewellery collection that my sister and I split between us. Including a few like your flowers.

It is lovely to have beautiful things to remember beautiful things if you know what I mean.

When my Mum died my Dad seemed to cope by removing all exstince of her so I am not so lucky to have a chance to wear something my Mum enjoyed wearing.

Enjoy wearing them and what ever beliefs you do or do not have, I always feel my Mum is there for me somewhere but she is there xxxx

 
At 7 August 2011 at 10:29 , Blogger Kate said...

How lovely - I'm going to do this one. I love that I remember little snippets from being young through Mums jewellery. Will link up when done. So glad you're moving forward step by step. x

 
At 7 August 2011 at 14:57 , Blogger Narrowboat Wife said...

I am enjoying your legacy posts and will link up one week.

 
At 8 August 2011 at 09:41 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Mel x
Ali - I started to write about how my mum always said she didn't like her mother's taste, and that each generation needs a gap of a generation to appreciate what came before. I love my Gran's stuff, and I love my Mum's 60s 70s stuff more than the 80s 90s stuff x
Kate and Boat wife - thanks, it's here whenever you feel the need xx would be lovely to have you on board.

 
At 8 August 2011 at 18:03 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

Beautiful post, so moving and love all the brooches. Thank you for sharing this xxx

 
At 8 August 2011 at 19:53 , Blogger Celia Blogs Babies...x said...

Hello from your newest follower.

So sorry to hear of your mums passing, but thank you for a lovely post. I've thought often about what I will leave behind, my grandma left us with beautiful patchwork quilts which I absolutely treasure and will pass on.

p.s. I particularly like the bird brooch!

celiablogsbabies.blogspot.com

xx

 
At 8 August 2011 at 23:03 , Blogger jazzygal said...

So sorry to hear about your mum passing. This is a lovely little legacy that she has left you, I can see that you treasure it.

I quite like the little white flowery one at the bottom:-)

xx Jazzy

 
At 16 August 2011 at 20:10 , Blogger mumsarcade said...

Grief is quite a fascinating journey and I think blogging helped/helps me deal with the loss of my mum. I get what you say about moving on to mourning and as time goes on the emotion does get a little less raw. I have had a bad month but will be trying to join in Little Legacies each week from now on when I can as I think it is a lovely idea for a blog hop, meme or whatever we call these things

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home