This Page

has been moved to new address

Little legacy #6 Darts

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little legacy #6 Darts

Thursday 11 August 2011

Little legacy #6 Darts

Joan Didion in 'My Year of Magical Thinking' refers to 'vortexes'.
Those moments when something in the present triggers memories of the
past.

Me and Miss L went to a blogger's event at Manchester's fabulous The
Lowry, last week. We sat in the Lowry outlet mall beforehand, Miss L
refusing to eat because she was fascinated by the men throwing 'mini
arrows' on the TV screens.

As I explained the rules of darts, it took me into a vortex, right back to Sunday afternoons with my paternal grandma and grandad.

A fine spread of triangle sandwiches, tomatoes and lettuce from the garden, homemade quiche, victoria sponge and fairy cakes washed down with tea or lemonade in china teacups.

My Grandma ran the colliery canteen and my Grandad ran a dairy and was a keen gardener, so food was important to them.

In complete contrast to the dainty spread, we always watched wrestling or darts on the telly.

Three little legacies here, the value of simple, homecooked food using the best ingredients. The value of proper teacups. And a reminder of my working class roots.

Bullseye.

Have you had a vortex moment recently?

For more info on linking a post to Little Legacy see the tab above, companions on the journey are always made very welcome. Or leave a comment and tell me about the little legacies you have been thinking about. Have a lovely week.

@AResidence






Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 14 August 2011 at 21:29 , Blogger jazzygal said...

My 11yo discovered darts on holidays and now wants a dart board at home! as for the vortex moments? I know there has been at least one this week but I just can't think of it right now....

xxJazzy

 
At 15 August 2011 at 09:30 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

You have just reminded me of the one me and my brother had when we were about that age. Woh vortex!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home