This Page

has been moved to new address

Writing a children's book - character names

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Writing a children's book - character names

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Writing a children's book - character names


I have been thinking lots about the name for my character in the children's book I am trying to write.  Actually I say trying, I have a rough draft.  Inspired by reading lovely Rachel from Right from the Start's post on a Lauren Child exhibition, I found a Guardian Interview with Lauren, who is absolutely fascinating and inspiring to read about. I especially like the fact that she wasn't published until the age of 34 (my age now), and there is a great picture of her kitchen, which I now covet badly.

She also gives great advice:

 "I can't start writing a book until I've worked out what the name is. Clarice,  for example: I couldn't have given her a regular name. I chose Clarice because it's old-fashioned but quite pretty, and unusual. Her middle name, Bean, was to suggest something about her family: that they're just the other side of conventional. With Charlie and Lola, I wanted to go completely in the opposite direction. Charlie was just a fairly common boy's name I liked; Lola came to me at the time when my friends were settling down." Child, who lives in north London with her partner, a criminal barrister, has no children of her own. "A whole chain of people said to me 'I'm going to call my daughter – or dog – Lola.' I guess I'm saying with Charlie and Lola they're everychild – their stories talk about problems most children can relate to."


So I have been thinking about names appropriate to a girl who wants to go to the moon.  Luna, is too obvious, but I quite like Stella.  Or I did consider my own daughter's name, but then I think it is important to take the story away from my real world now and 'give birth' to a fictional child.  I love Oliver Jeffers for just having 'the boy' though too, but like Lauren, I think my character needs a name.


Suggestions very welcome. Or please just tell me any children's book character names that stuck in your head? 


Lauren Child's website is called Milk Monitor and has tips on writing

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9 August 2011 at 13:34 , Blogger Kate said...

Slightly unrelated but our friends called their first born Ruby Stella - husband told the mum it sounds like a boys night out. Ouch.

 
At 9 August 2011 at 13:37 , Blogger Kate said...

Or what about Valentina - the first woman in space?!

 
At 10 August 2011 at 09:12 , Anonymous Him Up North said...

Phoebe was a Greek moon goddess, and is a rather nice name :-)

 
At 14 August 2011 at 22:03 , Blogger Super Amazing Mum (Super AM) said...

I think you should go for something totally unrelated to spVe - it's a bit too obvious in my opinion....sorry Kate and Garry!

Also think you need to give "birth" to new characters. The names that appealed to me as a bookworm child were those that were so far removed from my own.

Consequently I loved Pippi Longstocking, Marmalade Atkins, MAx from where the wild things are (believe you me, nobody was called Max in the 70s).

re you writing a book that is too be read by a parent or one that is to be read by the child? I think that makes a big difference????

If older child then step outside the usual......

personLly, I would go for something like Jackie or Winnie or Pamela!!

Love Sophie xx

 
At 17 August 2011 at 13:15 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Just got back from holiday to these fab suggestions.
kate - made me laugh, ooops. Do you think Stella Artois might be taking it a bit far ;)
Him Up North - I like Phoebe
SAM - you've got me thinking, i think that's why Clarice bean works. I loved Pippi too :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home