This Page

has been moved to new address

Life Tarot

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Life Tarot

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Life Tarot


Back in September, frustrated with the direction of our mid thirties lives, my friend L suggested we do Life Tarot.  I might have giggled nervously at memories of hideous attempts at ouija boards, and conversing with spirits through packs of cards as teenagers. Fortunately it turns out Life Tarot has actually got nothing to do with tarot cards, instead it's a life coaching technique.

L told me to write a series of goals I wanted to achieve on a set of cards.  I was to turn the first one over and make it my goal.  e agreed to meet in two weeks and review our progress.

Anyway to cut a long story short, it's changed my life.  And L's.

L turned up two weeks later grouchy and demanding coffee, she complained bitterly of feeling tired and said she had no idea how I managed with babies.  It turns out she had turned over the card marked puppy.  Her half German Shepherd, half Eskimo pup was keeping her up half the night, but she was in love.

I proudly produced two memory books from snapfish, one for my son and one for my daughter, full of pictures and stories of their time with my mum before she died.

Satisfied by our snappy achievements we turned over the next cards.  Spookily they were both much longer term goals.  Hers a psychology course, and mine to get published.  We spent a little longer on this goal, over a month we met a couple of times.  In one session we met in the riverside pub in L's village and brainstormed storylines and character ideas for my children's book and debated the ins and outs of doing a Psychology degree and how to fit it into L's life.

L has chosen the Open University and is starting work as I write this, I have a couple of drafts of my children's book and I've had some blog posts and articles published on other sites in that time.  Small but important steps.  I'm taking part in the bloggers' Save the Children fundraising book which will be published in time for Christmas.

I get really excited about turning over the next card.  Although I have to admit I am really struggling with this months, perhaps I should have made it NaBloPoMo? (I'm doing a post a month in November).  Perhaps I will blog about that at the other end of the month.  Currently I am procrastinating badly.

What helps you stick to your guns, and your goals?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 16 November 2011 at 16:36 , Anonymous Midlife SInglemum said...

This sounds good, however, I am almost certain that it is the commitment to doing it with you friend's support that is the success factor -rather than any Tarot Voodoo (but then you knew that). Good for you.

 
At 16 November 2011 at 17:35 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I need this - I have my day zero goals but going to the science museum isn't really going to move my life along. I think I need a mentor. A friend offered to meet up in a similar vein to your experience but I decided against after I realised she didn't actually listen to me.

It's good to have goals what more important is motivation - i am suffering terribly from procrastination at present and it is not good.

 
At 16 November 2011 at 22:08 , Blogger seasiderinthecity said...

How exciting! Great to have the support in achieving something like this. I am terrible at sticking to a plan or meeting a goal. If I complete NaBloPoMo it will be a miracle

 
At 17 November 2011 at 14:56 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

MLSM - Support def helps, but I think the tarot idea also focusses the mind :)

 
At 17 November 2011 at 14:57 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Gemma - I think you and MLSM are right, support is really helpful. L is busy at work this month so maybe that's why I am stalling..

 
At 17 November 2011 at 14:57 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Saesiderinthecity - I have been over to cheer you on, you can do it!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home