This Page

has been moved to new address

Hair today

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Hair today

Saturday 12 November 2011

Hair today


After years of asking if I could please, pretty please put a little plait or some pigtails in her hair and being told no, I finally got her permission last week.  I just wanted to indulge my inner hairdresser a little.  Admittedly it may have had something to do with the nits going round her class, she was so horrified by the idea of bugs in her hair she would have agreed to anything I suggested.

I followed behind her as she scooted to school, all the time smiling at these two little plaits.  Then I dropped her off and ran off to invest in an array of hairbands.  Sad I know, but it's a little girl milestone and I am making the most of it.

And nits we've dodged them so far, but it's all new to me, so I did my research.  I developed pyschosymatic nits on the day the letter from school warning it was going round came out.  I had nightmares for two days where I woke up convinced I had insects in my hair.   So here's the top tips I gleaned from the nice lady at Boots the chemist and parents in the playground.

  • You need a Nitty Gritty comb, it's the only one that works and potentially so effective it means you won't need chemicals.  Brush through hair every few days when wet and full of conditioner.
  • A good preventive measure is a spray made with water and tea tree oil, or hairspray 
  • Keep hair tied back
  • Check hair frequently
On another note, I made the silly mistake of not going to my normal hairdresser to save cash this week.  As I paid at reception, for my nice, but safe and boring haircut, a picture of the haircut I had really wanted stared down at me from the wall.  Why do hairdressers insist on having those edgy, cool, creative pictures on their walls when they either don't know how to achieve them or don't dare?  

I've gently suggested to my normal hairdresser I want the haircut of the woman on the wall in her salon before, so we're both prepared for the day when I say 'I want that one'.   In the meantime if you know a hairdresser who's not afraid of edgy coolness in Nottingham, please let me know.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 12 November 2011 at 09:12 , Blogger Unknown said...

I can wholeheartedly relate to the "safe and boring" haircut...for years I stuck with the same one (a very short crop) until I decided to grow it again.....now it just looks like a safe and boring mop! I'm going to the hairdressers on Tuesday for the first time in god knows how long (last time I went was a disaster, cut was ok (boring) but the colour I chose washed out in one wash...not happy as it cost £65!!!) and am pretty nervous about it. I want something a bit different this time, something funky and a bit quirky to match how I view my personality....whether I end up with what I want is another thing entirely! Wish me luck!! x

 
At 12 November 2011 at 10:53 , Anonymous Midlife Singlemum said...

We have also avoided nits so far eventhough they have had them in the nursery. I fight with DD (aged 3 next month) every morning to get her hair brished and into a pony-tail. It would be so much easier if I just had it cut short - but I want my little girl to have long hair so we suffer. I'm hoping she'll thank me one day.

 
At 12 November 2011 at 12:44 , Blogger Mel said...

Ugggg...head lice; the very mention of it makes me itch my head, too!!! My girlie hates getting her hair all pretty too. I get it nice and she pulls it right out half of the time!

 
At 12 November 2011 at 12:48 , Blogger AlwaysStriving said...

aaaarrgggghhhh head lice - for about 4 years it seemed like a relentless groundhog day for us, coming home from school and combing the kids hair on the search for 'muggles' even now just hearing the phrase makes me itch - never have I done so much hair washing or bedding washing - drove me INSANE

 
At 13 November 2011 at 08:31 , Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I'm scratching just reading about headlice - touch wood, we've got away basically unscathed, 2 incidents in 14 years of schools but I love, love, love and swear by http://www.nitmix.co.uk/ - we all use it daily, even bald hubby. I'm a bit scared of hairdressers - had some awful haircuts in Nottingham when I was a student, even now I shudder when the bus goes by TopKnot. I'll get hubby to ask the rest of HR (obviously female) where they get their hair cut

 
At 14 November 2011 at 21:58 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Things and Stuff - do it! Let's go together and hold hands. Aghh, why don't we live nearer?

 
At 14 November 2011 at 21:59 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

MLSM - I feel your pain, but I'm with you!

 
At 14 November 2011 at 21:59 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Mel - so infuriating, esp when she insists in putting clips in at odd angles.

 
At 14 November 2011 at 22:00 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Alyson - eeek I am upping the preventative measures and itching again now!

 
At 14 November 2011 at 22:01 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Elizabeth - had no idea you were local, are you still can we come to your jelly beans music classes?!

 
At 29 November 2011 at 13:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

and now my head itches!!!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home