This Page

has been moved to new address

Why blog mentors matter

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Why blog mentors matter

Monday 7 November 2011

Why blog mentors matter


Britmums have started a Big Sis bloggers mentoring scheme.  I volunteered to help after I read a newspaper article about how little people want to share their skills in this modern age.  Evidence suggests mentoring is a dying art in our uber competitive, fast moving and high pressure world. Which, having spent many years teaching future generations and mentoring new teachers, I think is very sad. Mentoring made me a better teacher and I think it will make me a better blogger too.

I pointed out I would be happy to be mentored too (I'm a very good student). My blog is after all just a year old itself, there's plenty I don't know.  The skills involved in running a blog are wildly diverse.

For me mentoring is not about sitting on a pedestal and claiming to be an expert, it's about being prepared to share what you do know (in my case writing, making film, parenting is tough), admit what you don't (design and technical stuff) and analyse what you do and why (that needs a whole new post of it's own).  So I'm no expert, but I am very happy to share the knowledge I have amassed in the last year, it's been a steep learning curve.

I think the people I am mentoring will teach me as much about blogging as I will them, not just through the process of looking into how and why someone else blogs, but because there are just months between us and these ladies are seriously going places with their blogs.

Do check them out and add them to your readers if you haven't already:

Kerry at Multiple Mummy
Elizabeth  at Jelly Beans Music
Rebecca at Here Come the Girls

If anyone else want to talk about blogging with me, comment below, email me, tweet me, let's compare notes.  If anyone wants to mentor me, yes please!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 7 November 2011 at 10:24 , Blogger Kate said...

Oh what lovely little sisters you have and aren't they lucky to get you. Fabulous stuff!

 
At 7 November 2011 at 17:36 , Anonymous South of the River Mum said...

A really super idea. Well done. I'm sure they'll learn a lot from you. I'm enjoying exploring your blog.

Like you I'm a year old and would be happy to link up with new bloggers to share what to do if you're hacked, how to change platform, or just general everyday blogging news, carnivals, widgets, memes or twitter parties. I'm about to host my very first blogging carnival next week so I'll be able to share much more after that!

You can find me at http://southoftherivermum.com or on twitter at @southrivermum

 
At 7 November 2011 at 18:23 , Anonymous Kate, WitWitWoo said...

I've loved being a Big Sis too! Not sure I did much good mind you ... but I think I tried. Or was trying. One or t'other.

 
At 7 November 2011 at 21:42 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

They're fab, i think I'm the lucky one Kate!

 
At 7 November 2011 at 21:43 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

South of the River Mum - just had a lovely visit to your site, recommend muchly! Will dig out a carnival post!

 
At 7 November 2011 at 21:44 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Kate - wow have you done it already? Fast mover!

 
At 8 November 2011 at 06:37 , Blogger Jenny said...

I think its a lovely idea and one i wisj had been around when i started my blog. I didnt realise yours was only a year Old i thought you had been blogging before me!! I am already following Rebecca (love her Tea & Sympathy linky great idea) and Kerry (who has a great blog) but i will now check out your other little sister :)
Good luck with the mentoring although i am sure you will be fab at it xx

 
At 8 November 2011 at 15:53 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Jenny - I know I could have really down with it, I am alway amazed when I ask on twitter how helpful people are though!

 
At 8 November 2011 at 15:59 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

Wish you could mentor me sweetpea. You will be fab x

 
At 10 November 2011 at 12:42 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

It is such a great idea and your advice has been brilliant. It's just so good to have someone to ask silly questions of - especially as I haven't been to any of these blogcamp things.
Oh and thanks for the lovely things said in the comments. Very sweet.

 
At 10 November 2011 at 14:22 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Honest Mum - feeling's mutual!

 
At 10 November 2011 at 14:23 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Here's come the girls - I missed Blogcamp too, because of toothache, it looked awesome. Cybermummy rocked though.

 
At 5 December 2011 at 08:07 , Anonymous HonestMum said...

I'd love you as my Big sister. You're going to be a fab mentor! x

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home