This Page

has been moved to new address

Listography top five toddler books

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Listography top five toddler books

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Listography top five toddler books

The lovely Kate Takes 5 has a irresistable Listography this week.  It's about toddler books, and more to the point, the ones that adults love, because much as I adore books, and reading to my children, sometimes come bedtime I need a pick me up.  I think these are at the older end of the toddler spectrum, although they are never too young to look at the pictures.

1. The Tiger That Came to Tea

The Tiger Who Came to Tea (Collins picture lions)

I just love the surrealness and the flashback to the fifties. On more monotonous days at home with my two I dream of a tiger knocking at our door.

2. Doing the Garden by Sarah Garland
Doing the Garden (Picture Puffin)
Because it comes closest to representing me and my kids. Losing them in the garden centre; precarious balancing of kids, shopping and daft purchases on the old pushchair; cups of tea; over ambitious projects that we only just pull off and causing chaos in public places.

3. Fantastic Daisy Artichoke by Quentin Blake


One of a series of fantastical characters who have Blake's trademark quirkiness. When he is in the mood Mr G and I talk about the pictures lots, when he is climbing the walls the rhymes move along very fast towards bed.  Mr G may not say much but he can say artichoke.

4. The Night Pirates by Peter Harris and Deborah Allwright


‘Down, down,down, the dark dark street they came.’  Lines clearly written to rejuvenate a tired and uninspired parent at the end of the day.  I challenge you to deliver those lines without creating an air of expectation and mystery in your child’s bedroom.  They are like a mantra to me now,  delivering me away from the end of day chaos and into the magical world of the girl night pirates.  Yes, GIRL pirates, fab eh?

5. Take Turns Max and Mille by Felicity Brooks and Desideria Guicciardini



My new favourite.  It's a little didactic, but if I am going to have to spend the next couple of years modelling sharing to someone who is cognitively incapable of it, why not let a book help me?  Writer Felicity Brooks also cleverly recognised that the Little Tykes red car is possibly the most coveted and argued over object at playgroups and preschools across the land.  I like the simplicity and the child's view of the world of sharing.  Sharing occupies lots of parental time but doesn't crop up in books much.

Looking forward to picking up some good reads this week.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9 March 2011 at 23:04 , Blogger Kate said...

Hmm like the idea of the girl pirates - though not sure my boys would be impressed...Oh and congratulations on finishing a Listography post!

 
At 10 March 2011 at 12:11 , Blogger Rachel said...

I absolutely love the tea-time tiger - what a treasure of a book. And how could I forget about Night Pirates when making my list?! Girl pirates - rough tough girl pirates even - are ferocious and fabulous. I live with two of them. They make life interesting...if swashbuckling.

 
At 10 March 2011 at 20:58 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Kate, the book is about a boy, and the girl pirates are really fair and let him join their ship. Everyone's a winner.
Manana Mama-swashbuckling is such a good word

 
At 10 March 2011 at 21:03 , Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed looking at your choices.....I can honestly say I'd only heard of one of them before so I'll be popping into the library tomorrow and looking for the other ones :) x

 
At 10 March 2011 at 21:04 , Blogger Jenny said...

I have only read your first book (as you know!) but the other ones sound great too! This weeks listography has inspired a trip to the library tomorrow! X

 
At 12 March 2011 at 22:54 , Anonymous Kirsty said...

"if I am going to have to spend the next couple of years modelling sharing to someone who is cognitively incapable of it" - ah, you are so spot on and so clever. I've added lots of these to our list (although not the Tiger - it looks a bit the same as the Cat in the Hat, and that sort of chaos and 'things out of place' freaks me out).

 
At 13 March 2011 at 07:55 , Blogger Bex said...

Love the tiger who came to tea and we do our own version with lions elephants etc. Have a copetion to win The take turns book on htis week at http://www.bookreviewsformums.co.uk my other site. Would love you to guets post this list just let me know on twitter @babybudgteing x

 
At 14 March 2011 at 10:36 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Things and stuff and Jenny - yes definitely will be visiting the library this week - full of inspiration too.
Kirsty - I can't do Cat in the Hat either, very freaky, I think it's the 'nonsense level' that freaks me out, I'm too impatient.
Becky - thanks so much I am popping over and would be thrilled to guest post. SOunds like a book we need to win!

 
At 14 March 2011 at 10:40 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Dur,sorry Becky just realised, you meant the Take turns book I mentioned above. But if anyone else wants to win it, they should check out your book blog
http://www.bookreviewsformums.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home