This Page

has been moved to new address

Mummy I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Mummy I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me

Saturday 5 March 2011

Mummy I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me

Photograph  by Jay Mountford

Last month the full moon was amazing.   As I left the hospital after visiting my mum it was waiting for me.  As I set off by car, from the West to the East of the country, it was there with me.  As I stopped on my way to pick up my children from their cousins it waited.  As we drove on it hovered in front of us.  And it captivated 4yo L.

L:              Mummy I want to go to the Moon
Me:           Do you? It's a long long way.
L:              Well I want to go.
Me:           You'll need a spaceship, and it will take years.
L:              I want to go.
Me:           Well maybe you need to go to astronaut school then.
L:              I want to go and L's mum* is going to take me. 
Me:           Is she?
L:              L's mum has been to astronaut school.
Me:           Has she?
L:              Yes!
*L is Miss L's best friend
                             [Pause]

L:              Mummy I want to go to the moon.
Me:           I know you do.
L:              Mummy I want to go to the moon!
Me:           I know but...
Me:           Mummy I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me!

So it continued, as onwards into the moonlit skies we drove, destined never to arrive at the moon.  She cried and she wailed and she told me it was all my fault.  Eventually thoughts of getting to the moon exhausted her and she joined Mr G in falling asleep. 

Which just left me, and the moon.  As we drove I told him a lot of stuff that night, about me, my mum and about being a mum.  There are some conversations you never want to forget. 


Thanks Cosmicgirlie/Jay for the photo.  Check out her amazing photos via her blog or her baby, children and wedding photography

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At 5 March 2011 at 12:01 , Anonymous Metropolitan Mum said...

I hope your mum is ok. xx

 
At 5 March 2011 at 16:44 , Blogger Carrie said...

Isn't funny the things they believe are totally possible? And damn us really, for gettting in their way! That is a line to cherish forever. I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me. So mad, and at the same time it makes you want to giggle a little!

 
At 5 March 2011 at 19:19 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Such a lovely happy-sad post. Hope you're doing ok xxx

 
At 6 March 2011 at 20:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the image of just you and the moon. Who knows, perhaps one day there will be trips to the moon for all of us.

CJ xx

 
At 6 March 2011 at 21:38 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Met Mum, sorry didn't frame this post so well. My mum died recently, thanks for your thoughts :)
Carrie - I really wanted to get this down in a post down so I don't forget it, it really made me laugh amongst the sadness ;)
Lucy - thank you :)
CJ - it was such a strong image, couldn't resist writing about it :) if Miss L has her way there will!

 
At 6 March 2011 at 21:48 , Blogger @cosmicgirlie said...

Gosh that's such a lovely post and yet so sad at the same time. Incredibly thought provoking, especially as the moon holds a lot of (similar) meaning for me too.
Beautiful post, and thank you for using my photo in such a perfect context. xxxx

 
At 6 March 2011 at 21:49 , Blogger MichelleTwinMum said...

Every time you look at the moon now you will be able to remember your mum and this special conversation. Great photo from Jay too.

My thoughts are still with you.

Mich x

 
At 6 March 2011 at 21:50 , Blogger Jenny said...

A beautiful conversation and a lovely way to remember your mum by xx

 
At 6 March 2011 at 21:58 , Blogger MmeLindt said...

What a beautiful post, and a fab photo.

 
At 7 March 2011 at 09:43 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Jay - glad you lik it and that it holds meaning for you too, its such a stunning shot. Will have to print this post for Miss L's scrapbook I think x
Mich, Jenny - So true, I think it will always remind me. Thanks x
Mme Lindt - Thanks :)

 
At 8 March 2011 at 06:51 , Blogger Emma said...

A Beautiful bitter sweet post, it brought a tear to my eye! Emma

 
At 8 March 2011 at 18:12 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Sorry Emma x

 
At 9 March 2011 at 13:35 , Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

What a lovely post, so magical and sad and sweet. I love the stuff my kids say and how they make us think. So sorry you lost your Mum, but it's good you can still talk to her, or about her, and I bet the moon is a good listener. I do that with my Gran.

 
At 9 March 2011 at 15:18 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hello Jo
Yhey really do make you think don't they. Glad I am not the only lady talking to the moon!

 
At 9 March 2011 at 17:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a really beautiful post - so well written and evocative.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your mum, hope your happy memories are a comfort to you x x

 
At 14 March 2011 at 22:22 , Blogger Very Bored in Catalunya said...

Sorry to hear that you lost your mum, I hope that each new full moon will bring back lovely memories of her and your daughter.

Thanks for contributing to the BMB carnival.

 
At 1 July 2011 at 17:35 , Blogger Mummy's Space said...

That's such a lovely post, so well written. I always find a full moon and even gazing at the stars makes me drift off into my thoughts and evokes memories.

I'm so sorry about your mum, I'm sure a full moon will always bring back a flood of special memories of her and this is truly a special post to share with your daughter some day.

 
At 4 July 2011 at 13:29 , Blogger Isil Simsek said...

beautiful post and so sorry about your mum.I hope your dreams come true and you can publish your beautiful story. best of luck.xx

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home