This Page

has been moved to new address

Heaven is being stuck in a tin can, in a muddy field, with my family

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Heaven is being stuck in a tin can, in a muddy field, with my family

Monday 28 February 2011

Heaven is being stuck in a tin can, in a muddy field, with my family


Five of my very favourite things.  Can you spot them? 

We went away in the caravan this weekend.  It rained nearly non stop, probably because it was half term.  But we had a great time.  It was a weekend of simple pleasures.  I love our caravan, it's where we go to recharge and reconnect as a family and escape suburbia.  I know there are cynics who say being trapped in a tin box, with your nearest and dearest, over a wet weekend, sounds like hell.  But it works perfectly for us.  In fact I think it has made a huge difference to our life as a family.

Looking for the blue sky

After a day out exploring somewhere new, I love being tucked up under my tartan rug with three of my favourite people, admiring the view out if the window or listening to the sound of rain on the roof.  Small pleasures that go a long way.  We have tried tent camping and a campervan, but with small children, and the amount we wanted to get away, a caravan was the ideal solution.

The caravan has brought us closer as a family.  When you are living in a small space you talk about things more, you are physically closer, you notice the little things about each other's lives and you have to be more patient.  You have to be organised, but then possessions are minimal and so much less distracting than at home.  Being in the outdoors recharges your batteries, as does a simple change of scene.  Caravan living is a learning curve and it takes adjustments to make the most of it, but I think it is a very worthwhile mindset.

This weekend we got together with family at Titesworth Reservior.  After a long lunch in the cafe overlooking the reservoir, the rain finally gave in and the sun came out.  All six kids, dressed for mud, ran round chasing balls, rolled down hills and collected sticks to make pretend campfires.   There's a different mentality when we are caravanning, we have more adventures, explore more, we say 'pah' to bad weather stopping us from playing.

Initially I posted the picture above of Mr G and the window pane, as my Silent Sunday.  But then I decided this one sums up my Sunday better. 
cat girl
Ok I admit there was a simultaneous tantrum when they both got back to the 'van cold, wet and muddy, but how much did they enjoy snuggling back under the blankets again when we got back.

Ok, so it's not quite the vintage Cath Kidson caravan of my dreams yet, but it's so cosy.
Lo and behold I just visited Tara's The Gallery and the theme this week is simple pleasures.  It depends which side of the camping fence you sit on, but for me it's full of simple pleasures.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At 28 February 2011 at 14:50 , Blogger Trish said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time - super photos of a happy family snuggling up together.

 
At 28 February 2011 at 15:02 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this sounds so lovely. I can't even get OH to consider camping with me, but I have so many happy memories of camping as a child. I love the pic of you all snuggling under blankets.

 
At 28 February 2011 at 15:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for that rainy picture yesterday to comment on it - fab reminds me of our hols in the caravan!

 
At 28 February 2011 at 17:49 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Trish, glad you had a getaway too, reckon we both needed it!
Motherporridge - the caravan convinced Mr A I think, helloitsgemma has a fab post about convincing your other half...;)
Nic - sorry I had two silent sundays yesterday, cheating I know ;)

 
At 28 February 2011 at 19:19 , Anonymous Helloitsgemma said...

You have almost convinced me caravans are ok!!

 
At 28 February 2011 at 21:05 , Blogger MummyDichotomy said...

Umm almost convinced about caravans ... Sounds like you had a great time though. Each to their own!

 
At 28 February 2011 at 21:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just announced to my husband that I want a caravan and he's rolling his eyes! Your fault! You do paint a wonderful picture though - and love the piccys. Hope you're ok lovely xxx

 
At 28 February 2011 at 21:14 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Awww - love the snuggled up picture! Sounds like you had a fab time xxx

 
At 1 March 2011 at 15:59 , Blogger Kate said...

Gorgeous! Love the pics. I think you must have better behaved kids than me though!

 
At 1 March 2011 at 21:51 , Blogger zookeeper said...

You do make caravanning sound fun although I suspect that Big Daddy might be too high maintenance. Really lovely pic of you all cosied-up with the kinder. I thought you were on my blogroll, but apparently not. Will sort that. X

 
At 1 March 2011 at 22:53 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

I know it's one of those, you are are on one side of the fence or the other. I was so anti caravans and Mr A is a huge top gear fan, but we are total converts.
Kate there is no way my kids are better behaved! 3 might be tough though, I think being 'outnumbered' in a caravan might be scary.
Zookeeper - high maintenance ha ha! Thanks btw :)

 
At 2 March 2011 at 11:26 , Blogger Rachel said...

What sweet pics, sounds like a wonderful time - no amount of rain can ruin perfect family bliss. Hope you get to head out in the caravan again soon.

 
At 2 March 2011 at 12:27 , Blogger Jenny said...

Nothing nicer then getting away from it all and spending quality time together as a family. It doesn't matter where you a or where you go, it's who you're with that's important. Gorgeous post and that last photo is so sweet x

 
At 2 March 2011 at 12:44 , Blogger Emma said...

Sounds perfect, and very "Hygge" inside that caravan as the Danes would say!

 
At 2 March 2011 at 13:04 , Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, what a lovely post and pictures. Looks like a fab time - even with the wet weather.

Thanks for stopping by my blog too with your lovely comments x

 
At 2 March 2011 at 13:57 , Anonymous Caroline said...

Wow, I want an umbrella like that - do they make them in adult size?!

 
At 2 March 2011 at 20:46 , Anonymous tiddlyompompom said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. Just getting away is all you need sometimes, even if it rains the whole time. I love the umbrella too :)

 
At 4 March 2011 at 23:32 , Blogger Mari's World said...

I love caravan holidays and my OH's dream is to own his own - he's working on it!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home