This Page

has been moved to new address

Mummy 1 Kids 6 The editied highlights

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Mummy 1 Kids 6 The editied highlights

Thursday 17 February 2011

Mummy 1 Kids 6 The editied highlights

Dear Children

Those days when you two lie in are always the worst.  The give me a false sense of security.  Sat in bed at 7.45am with a cup of tea I was fooled into thinking the whole day might be that laidback.  From the moment we came downstairs this morning I hit the ground running.  It was one of those days where I would never be a step ahead of you.

So here you are looking like the best of friends, and actually you have had some fantastic moments of togetherness today.  At playgroup all you wanted to do was chase each other, find slugs, climb trees and run through the flower beds.  Forget the toys, forget the other children.  Unfortunately for your poor mummy this togetherness comes with your newly discovered power of double trouble.  Creating mischief together is so much more effective.

I left to fetch a snack; you found the light switch to the aquarium and gave the fish a disco.  I left to answer the phone; you reenacted Hanzel and Gretel with a trail of breadcrumbs across the living room carpet.   I went to hang the washing up; later I found you cuddled up together, under my bed, with the i pad.


There was the banana bread debacle.  Your mummy is no domestic goddess but she knows of a lady called Nigella who is, and she isn't about to see 12 overripe bananas go to waste.  So we tripled the recipe and my goodness did you make a mess.  6 unbeaten eggs and egg shell thrown into the flour while my back was turned.  Mixture smeared across the table, down the chair leg, in my hair, over every surface in the kitchen.  But hey you had fun and were very proud of your efforts.

Miss L: Mummy can you play?
Me: I'm just cleaning the kitchen
Miss L: You're always cleaning the kitchen.

True, I thought, So why does the house still look like a bomb has hit it?

Your crowning moment was wrapping yourself in blankets, which you said were ballgowns, to pretend to be a princess and prince going the ball.  I was also a prince and had to kiss your hands and welcome you.  It was very funny, the first time.  After the fifth rehearsal/take of this entrance scene it was less funny. I might have lost my temper a bit.  I am glad you finally agreed to rehearse the 'sleepover at the palace' scene.


And here's where I just found you Mr G, asleep finally, at the top of the stairs.  Were you making one last call on the chatter phone?  You dodged all my efforts to get you to nap and whinged and whined your way through Thursday afternoon.  But you look so beautiful asleep.

Anyway this afternoon was really quite rubbish, but you know, even a bad day has edited highlights.  Thanks to imperfect pages, whose blog I was reading today, which reminded me of the joy of teasing out the little things that happen in a day.

Fancy a slice of banana bread?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 17 February 2011 at 21:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous post! They make you want to tear your hair out, and then make it all better in a heartbeat!

So, how was the banana bread ;-)?

 
At 17 February 2011 at 21:59 , Blogger MummyDichotomy said...

Oh that all sounds very familiar! My 2yo managed to flood the kitchen last week when I went to answer the phone. He thought it was hilarious ... Me less so!

 
At 17 February 2011 at 22:35 , Blogger Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Yum- I can smell your banana bread from here-sounds like a lovely and tiring day!

 
At 17 February 2011 at 22:50 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Mom on a wire - perfectly put!
Don't step - oh no! My 2yo is water obsessed too , must be a 2yo thing.
Ren - lovely and tiring, spot on.

 
At 18 February 2011 at 09:30 , Blogger Kerry said...

That is a day I recognise! My two now work as a pack and run rings around me. But you know what? I had a really great day with mine yesterday mainly as I was inspeired by your Back to Work post. I decided that I was going to poactively throw lots of activities at them instead of reacting to them, and it worked a treat. With kids some day's are harder than others mostly depending on how tired/energetic their parents are feeling, but thanks for inspiring me to have one great day yesterday! x

(By the way came across 'The Sad Book' by Michael Rosen in the library yesterday. I assume you have heard of it, but if not it's a story for young children about feeling sad because of bereavement, in case it's of any interest?)

 
At 18 February 2011 at 16:18 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Kerry this has shed loads of light on things for me thank you! I think it is a case of being a step ahead rather than a step behind and you are so right, each day is different.
My Dad spotted the sad book as we were leaving the hospice, we had already picked out a few and needed to leave at that point, but I think I will look this one up :(

 
At 22 February 2011 at 20:34 , Anonymous Kirsty said...

Om nom, we did Nigella's banana bread the other week and it was gorgeous! But 12 bananas?! Surely you must have had about four loaves! :)

Thank you very much for linking to me. I'm really glad that my beautiful things posts seem to be inspiring people, I think they're making me happier too.

(Also, I've gone self-hosted and have a new url, imperfectpages.com, so if you would like to update your blogroll that would be fab. Thanks!)

 
At 23 February 2011 at 13:34 , Anonymous Unpacked Mummy said...

Sounds like such a lovely day, though of course I can say that, it wasn't me who had to wipe banana bread mixture off the kitchen walls! Kids are so exhausting but the paybacks are like no other and yours sound so special. It's wonderful they have each other, you may want to tear your hair out right now, but what a fantastic bond they are forging for the future x

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home