This Page

has been moved to new address

A minature garden

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: A minature garden

Friday 4 March 2011

A minature garden

Minature worlds have always fascinated me, when I was six or seven I won a cup for a minature garden I made at the Knypersley Village Show.  I think I should have been a Borrower (from the book by Mary Norton).  I wanted to name my children after them, but Mr A wasn't as keen on Arrietty and Pod.  


The effort of looking after lifesize things is just too overwhelming sometimes.  Since we left London and gained a garden I find myself looking out sadly in March, wishing I had planted more bulbs.  However many we plant, it's never quite enough. 

My dad spotted some muscari and daffodil bulbs pre grown in pots, at our local florist, at a bargain price.  I planted them with my 2 and 4yo in this empty pot, the last resting place of a poor plant I neglected last Summer. We added some fir cones that were hanging round after christmas, a fairy and some plastic pigs  A few days later we added a yogurt pot pond and some plasticine fish. 
 
Fairy garden

Then we went to see Gnomeo and Juliet (which was brilliant fun) and Miss L decided we needed gnomes to stop any birds from eating the fish.  So we added a pair of smurf figures.


It's by our front door which means it's a lovely welcome home.  It's an ongoing challenge as we try to add to the scene each day or so.  And it's a minature garden, so well within my comfort zone.

For more ideas for things to do this weekend visit Thinly Spread, click on the suitcase and off you go.
Thinly Spread

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 4 March 2011 at 08:57 , Blogger carole said...

What a lovely Idea x

 
At 4 March 2011 at 10:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I absolutely love this post!

The Borrowers were one of my favorite series when I was little, and I used to wish I could be tiny too.

To this day I love collecting miniature jam pots and little things!

I am going to have to pinch this idea to make a mini garden with the Little Man, although ours will probably involve more spiderman figures and less fairies.

 
At 4 March 2011 at 17:41 , Blogger Kate said...

Very cute! And we have those fairies too!

 
At 4 March 2011 at 18:16 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh its's adorable! I always wanted to be a Borrower too! My DD has a teeny patch in our garden which is full of little people living little lives! Thanks for linking this lovely post!

 
At 4 March 2011 at 18:18 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Mom on a wire - glad someone else gets the Borrowers thing. I only put that bit in at the last minute but it really made me think back and I think the book had a huge impact on me. I realised I could create my own little worlds and wrote lots of stories. Spiderman garden sounds fab, so many possibilities. Think we might make some more themed ones....

 
At 6 March 2011 at 08:37 , Blogger MummyDichotomy said...

Love it! I prefer the concept of the garden to the actual garden and am awaiting the day when the light dawns and I suddenly enjoy gardening. In th meantime I am going to give this idea a whirl with the small ones and see if i can keep it alive ....

 
At 8 March 2011 at 06:47 , Blogger Emma said...

Lovely idea, I remember many a summer holiday preparing a miniature garden (complete with tin foil pond!) for the village fete! Something to try when things have thawed out a bit here! Emma

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home