This Page

has been moved to new address

New Musical Education

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: New Musical Education

Wednesday 23 March 2011

New Musical Education

This week's theme at The Gallery is Education.  I will never forget my journey of New Musical Education.  Early 1990s.  The Madchester scene was huge... The Charlatans, Ride, Happy Mondays.  Out of Stourbridge came Neds, The Wonder Stuff and PWEI.   I had time to hang out in record shops and music was my life.  Here I am (on the left) with two friends from school in our 'Madchester daze', swotting up:




And here we are recreating one of the many posters that adorned our bedroom walls.  I think we are trying to emulate either Ride or The Charlatans:



And here we are taking ourselves very seriously in a homage to Neds' Atomic Dustbin (I'm on the chair):



As teenage girls are prone to do, our friendship burnt bright, saw us through the heady days of our early teens and then sadly burnt out as we moved on to new friends and boyfriends.  But I will never forget the gigs, the shopping, the poring over the NME, the day dreaming about floppy fringes and the huge presence music had in our lives.  Posted by Picasa

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 23 March 2011 at 11:53 , Blogger Trish said...

These photos are just brilliant - a reminder of teenage years: you've described it so perfectly too.

 
At 23 March 2011 at 11:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! brilliant photographs, love the one in the water and brilliant take on the theme.

 
At 23 March 2011 at 13:20 , Blogger Katy from Modern Mummy said...

This is the BEST ENTRY EVER! Love your album cover recreations, brilliant! I did similar; I was in a crappy indie band called The Day Makers in the 1990s, The Charlatans and Shed 7 and Inspiral Carpets were our idols. Heheheheheh x

 
At 23 March 2011 at 13:21 , Blogger Katy from Modern Mummy said...

PS The 90s were the best decade for music! I go to a 90s Britpop night once a month now. Its the only night out I have and the very fact you now get 90s nights as well as 80s and 70s ones makes me feel O L D!

 
At 23 March 2011 at 16:49 , Blogger Mari's World said...

Brilliant. I love the re-creation fo the album covers. Fabulous pastime. Do you ever wonder where they all are today?

 
At 23 March 2011 at 17:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fantastic! I shall spend a happy evening reminiscing now thank you!

 
At 23 March 2011 at 18:36 , Blogger Kate said...

Oh Penny these are classic! Love it. I think you need to continue this on. Solo album covers you could recreate....Lady Gaga maybe??

 
At 23 March 2011 at 20:09 , Anonymous tiddlyompompom said...

I LOVE these photos! you were clearly a creative bunch :)

 
At 23 March 2011 at 20:20 , Blogger Jen Walshaw said...

I love you, I really do. I am such a fan of that music still after all these years. Even the boys love a little wonderstuff and PWEI. Oh and to hear them singing sherrif fat man, well it brings a tear to my eye!

 
At 23 March 2011 at 21:19 , Anonymous Vickie Ford said...

lol great photos

 
At 23 March 2011 at 22:43 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Trish and Gemma
Modern Mummy-put my name on the list I'm coming to the next one! how could I forget the inspirals?
Tiddlyompompom - thank you! Not sure about creative - all that dressing up as men -confused maybe?
Christine - glad you appreciate this too
Kate- oh god I feel a challenge coming on, like when we made you do the pictures for the Irish government...
TheMadHouse - I love you too, for raising your boys to the sounds of Carter. Loved them too.
Vickie - thank you

 
At 10 April 2011 at 14:06 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Love, love, love these photos! :)

 
At 10 April 2011 at 14:06 , Anonymous AlexanderResidence said...

I think it was just becase we were too young to go off on our own or
go to the pub, had too much time on our hands!

 
At 10 April 2011 at 14:06 , Anonymous overthehillmum said...

lol they're great photo's all I've got are me and my friends youth hostelling! Nothing so arty in my collection.
Great choice of bands :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home