This Page

has been moved to new address

Metal Mummy's Movie Meme

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Metal Mummy's Movie Meme

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Metal Mummy's Movie Meme

I feel very guilty I haven't taken part in this fab movie linky yet.  Especially being an ex Drama and Film Studies teacher.  But although before children I used to be able to deconstruct films in a jiffy, I am actually not a movie buff.  I also have film induced narcolepsy (self diagnosed, but a condition verfied by discovering fellow sufferers Very Bored in Catalunya and Nickie at Typecast).

This week's theme is Leonardo DiCaprio.  I like that theme alot, because I also can't remember film stars names, so Metal Mummy has made that easy for me.  And as soon as I went to look up his films to jog my memory,  Blood Diamond jumped out at me. 

Behind all those sparkly diamonds is hideous bloodshed, something I became very aware of as I struggled to find conflict free stones for my wedding ring.  This film came out in 2006, shortly after we got married, and is set in Sierra Leonne where civil war rages for control of the diamond fields. Rebels and the government battle with each other for diamonds to pay for more weapons. 

DiCaprio's character is a smuggler, who is diamond hungry and sells weapons to both sides.  I really liked the way as an actor he conveyed all the contradictions in his character.  There's a scene at a beachside bar where Di Caprio meets a journalist trying to expose the trade in conflict diamonds, he tries to justify his involvement to her, makes the complexities of the situation so clear, but it's obvious too he is falling for her.

Blood Diamond Poster

The final events of the film are  based on an actual meeting that led to the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme, which seeks to certify the origin of diamonds in order to curb the trade in conflict diamonds.

 Smuggling, war, love, politics, news, diamonds.  Kept me awake. Literally and politically.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 16 March 2011 at 11:42 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant post and review. I wasn't even aware of conflict diamonds until I saw this. Am hoping my beautiful emerald cut engagement ring isn't one :/

Funny you should say about film-induced narcolepsy. 3 times I've tried to watch the Coen's Fargo and each time I've fallen asleep less than 20 minutes into what is supposedly a brilliant film :D x

 
At 16 March 2011 at 13:01 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Aw thank you what a warm welcome to this linky! Non Conflict diamonds exist, but when I got married it was all a bit vague and they were still hard to trace. They are definitely becoming more traceable.
Yep narcolepsy is a good measure of a film's effectiveness.

 
At 16 March 2011 at 14:52 , Blogger Metal Mummy said...

Hehe, I have film narcolepsy too. A sign of a good film is when I stay awake through it :)

Bloody Diamon is a brilliant film. Great acting, great plot and such a real issue.

Thanks for linking up :) xx

 
At 16 March 2011 at 22:10 , Blogger Nickie O'Hara said...

Film narcolepsy appears to be more popular than originally we thought. It's like a support group... once one person stands up and admits it, they all follow suit :D

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home