This Page

has been moved to new address

Listography Top Five sweets

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Listography Top Five sweets

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Listography Top Five sweets

The very sweet Kate Takes 5 has a listography theme of top five sweets this week, which has prompted a trip down memory lane.  My local sweet shop as a child looked nothing like this picture, it was run by a witch with nicotine stained fingers and nails like corkscrews.   We were only allowed to buy from her if the sweets came wrapped.  We snuck in to buy candy cigarettes, but for proper sweets we had to go further afield.  

I still remember the excitement of mum taking me to the newsagents to buy me 2oz of cough candy twists in a little white bag.  They were the first boiled sweest I was allowed, and this sweet shop rite of passage was made even more special because mum took me to the newsagents without my little brother.

I think my dad introduced me to aniseed balls. Many happy hours of turning my tongue red and crunching away to get at the seed in the middle.  Wondering in some Willy Wonka type fantasy whether if I planted it, it would it grow into an aniseed ball tree.

Mum introduced me to sherbet fountains too.  I was always disappointed that the licorice straw didn't quite function as it was supposed to.   I soon discovered sherbet dib dabs did exactly what they said on the packet though. 

My grandparents always had polos around.  I don't know why having a hole makes them better, but it is a piece of genius product design.  A classic sweet. 

The best thing ever as a very little girl was those sweetie necklaces.  Jewellery and sugar,  now you're talking to the thirty three five year old in me.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 16 March 2011 at 09:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allow me a Homer moment . . . Sherbert Dib Dabs . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm x

 
At 16 March 2011 at 10:20 , Blogger Hot Cross Mum said...

Oh I just adore all these sweetie memories and that's a fab photo! My favourites were cherry lips, sherbet pips, midget gems (the red or white ones) and swizzle lollies. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

 
At 16 March 2011 at 10:59 , Blogger A Farmer's Wife said...

Sherbet was pretty special really wasn't it.

 
At 16 March 2011 at 12:26 , Blogger Kate said...

You made it! Hope the reminising was all good. I've started to realise how important creating good memories is. x

 
At 16 March 2011 at 13:04 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Love the homer moment! mmmmmmm I am salivating now at the thought of sherbert dib dabs.
Sweet memories are amazing and very poignant too, made me realise how much influence my parent's had in my tastes too.

 
At 17 March 2011 at 11:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh sweetie necklaces were lovely! And I loved the watch ones too as you could sneak them under your sleeve at school ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home