This Page

has been moved to new address

Little Legacy #10 school gate fails

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little Legacy #10 school gate fails

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Little Legacy #10 school gate fails

@AResidence
Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors



Day one in the school playground.  Mr A pointed out the coat he'd picked up for Miss L was filthy, Daddy fail.  I forgot her water bottle, Mummy fail.

But day two in reception class went really well.  My Dad's been visiting.  We drank too many glasses of wine the night before, in celebration of Miss L's first day, so instead of neatly lined up shoes, there was a bit of a scramble.  Mum/Dad/Grandad fail.  But, we still managed to be early.

Of course there's a big hole, where mum used to be.   Mum would have been absolutely bursting with pride and excitement.  Change stirs up so many emotions.

My mum was brilliant at managing change for me and my brother.  It was a huge thread in the Eulogy we wrote about her: the cartoons she drew, the relaxation exercise, the cheery notes in our lunch-boxes, the little surprises she brought us in old Kinder egg containers at the end of the day.

Funny then, how when I try to think back I am more likely to remember the Mummy primary school fails.  Like...
  • The time mum was late to pick me up from pre-school so the staff presumed I was meant to be going home on the school bus, until I spotted mum running in the opposite direction to the bus and let out a wail that drowned out the rest of the bus like a tidal wave.
  • The time mum left me in the car because I was too ill to go to school, but she needed to take my brother in.  Deciding she was never coming back, I screamed that vehicle down too.  (Fortunately no one noticed or indeed reported this hugely disturbed child to social services).
  • The time mum forgot to remind me to take my PE kit, so I cried and feigned stomach ache to avoid being told off.
  • The times we were late, because mum insisted on making my brother porridge, he always wasted precious minutes drizzling it with syrup and waiting for it to be just the right temperature.
  • The times the caretaker, Mr Pennyroyal, called us the travelling circus, because of the stripy red and yellow door Mum obtained to repair our otherwise brown Renault 5.  Oh and because we were often the last ones legging it to the door, bags, coats and packed lunches flying behind us, like something out of a Quentin Blake illustration.
  • The time she sent me to school in black knickers, on the day I was performing in a white costume, as a snowflake in the Nutcracker.  Classy.
So now I have two school runs and a few minor Mummy fails under my belt, I fully appreciate the huge effort involved.  Here's to my Mum, for giving me permission to get it wrong now and again, and for guiding me through nearly two decades in the education system.  (Only two days in...gulp).

Feel free to share a little legacy too, by linking up a post or simply leaving a comment.  Perhaps this will even inspire a few people to share some fails...

More on Little Legacy

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 7 September 2011 at 22:18 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum had an embarrassing multicoloured car too! I'm going to borrow your mums idea of notes in lunchboxes, love that. X

 
At 7 September 2011 at 22:23 , Anonymous KAte, Witwitwoo said...

I love reading about your legacies ... reminds me of things I've forgotten. And I've forgotten a lot. Too much. But that's why time is bittersweet. x

 
At 7 September 2011 at 22:26 , Blogger Emma said...

Your Mum honestly sounds like she was so fabulous!... I loved the car door story, that's fantastic, really made me laugh, and don't worry I could definitely picture the Quentin Blake illustration! So glad school is going well, glad you had a glass of wine or two to celebrate as well! Emma :) xx

 
At 8 September 2011 at 08:37 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Glad it wasn't just me Mothrporridge! X
Kate - it's important to be in the now, mum taught me that x
Emma - thanks lovely. Glad you got the QB bit x

 
At 8 September 2011 at 09:56 , Blogger Narrowboat Wife said...

Hmm. This reminds me that I'm way more tolerant of my mum's mistakes now that I'm a mum myself! I think all mum's feel like they're in a Quentin Blake illustration sometimes! Great analogy.

 
At 8 September 2011 at 09:57 , Blogger Narrowboat Wife said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8 September 2011 at 14:17 , Blogger Jen Walshaw said...

Oh I am sat in tears and you know why

 
At 8 September 2011 at 19:52 , Blogger Nancy said...

I love reading your blog... the bits about your mum and your memories of her are particularly touching - esp to those of us who have lost a parent. 70/80's eras of school runs were epic in our house too.... keep on with the fantastic writing! x

 
At 8 September 2011 at 22:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic post. My eyes are pricking - but I roared with laughter at the bus story and the wail. My mum has a very loose concept of time and I was always the last one waiting and being bundled off by accident - she always swept round the corner in the nick of time with something exciting under her arm or in her bag. Really love this linkup xx

 
At 15 September 2011 at 17:38 , Anonymous Kate, WitWitWoo said...

Finally plucked up the courage to add my own legacy - and promptly made my brother cry. Oops!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home