This Page

has been moved to new address

Little Legacy #8 Bilberry picking

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little Legacy #8 Bilberry picking

Thursday 25 August 2011

Little Legacy #8 Bilberry picking

Bilberries
Photo credit Wild Eepe
"I went back to the bilberry picking grounds of my childhood this week too. I stood on the rambling hills admiring the 360 views. It is so flat here in the east of the UK, I miss the west. Something else was missing for us too of course, my dear mum. But it was still sticky, sweet magic to return.  We laughed at the way my brother and I used to plead to be allowed to be released from our child labour as we froze on the hillside and she cried out, 'Just a few more berries.' "


Do you know those moments when you leave a story in a status update, a tale in a tweet, or an entire blog post in another blogger's comments?  That's what I did  to Manana Mama's gorgeous post Rambling this week.  Then I realised it was a good little legacy for the week, so I borrowed it back again.  

It was the first time I had returned to the spot since we scattered mum's ashes there back in blustery March.  The wind that had whipped around us was replaced by sunshine, the heather was a purple blaze and the tiny bilberries were bursting bright ready for picking.  I watched as my children stuffed their faces and stained their fingers purple with juice, and glimpsed the magic my mother saw all those years back too.  Her bilberry picking legacy lives on. 


I'm rather proud of making it to eight little legacies.  It's making a huge difference in my life.  As always, companions on the journey are made very welcome.  The space is there if you need it.  There is a linky, but me, I prefer the word space.  Or if your time is tight or you're afraid you'll lose it if you don't get it down now, just leave your little legacy in the comments.

@AResidence



Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors

More on Little Legacy

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 25 August 2011 at 08:04 , Blogger Rachel said...

What a beautifully written, evocative post! Makes me want to hop on the M1 and head to the bilberry hills, with a bucket in hand.

And thank you for the kind words - what a lovely comment you left at Chaos HQ! I'm so glad we were able to connect over berry picking :)

Good work for carrying on your mums legacy, and for passing on her joy to your children. Any mum would be proud of a daughter like you. Enjoy your bilberry feast :)

 
At 25 August 2011 at 12:24 , Anonymous Boo and Me said...

I echo everything Rachel said. Lovely post (again!) and gorgeous writing.

I've not managed a Little Legacy for a while and I have to say I have missed it. The space to sit and remember is so important. I have joined in again this week and am going to make an effort not to miss any more weeks.

http://booandme.co.uk/2011/08/25/little-legacy-4-knitting/

 
At 25 August 2011 at 13:13 , Anonymous MIdlife Singlemum said...

How lovely. I have so many little legacies I want to give my DD but they're all for when she's a bit older. I'm taking inspiration from you though.

 
At 25 August 2011 at 19:34 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Rachel for your lovely words. You and your bucket are welcome to come bilberry picking any summer!
Boo and Me - sorry the linky vanished, have linked you up now though. the space is always here, but feel no pressure, that's why I say space, not linky ;) Looking forward to reading yours, they're always such beautiful reads.
Midlife singlemum - Thanks, you've reminded me these legacies are pretty infinite!

 
At 25 August 2011 at 20:06 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully and gently written. I can't believe I've only just found this Little Legacies, it's a gorgeous idea. I'll put an older post in for now if that's ok, but I'm making a trip home soon, there'll be more to tell then. Big love to you all xxx

 
At 25 August 2011 at 20:07 , Blogger Kate said...

I don't have time to write a post so thought I would take up your comment space instead. My Dad was a great gardener and had every type of fruit and veg growing in his lovely garden - including raspberries. My kids don't really remember him but when I asked them recently if they had any memories of him at all the older one said - 'Oh I do - he always shouted at us in the garden 'Stop picking my raspberries!'' It's true too.

 
At 25 August 2011 at 20:44 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Minty - I meant to mention it when we met in Manchester, knowing it might be something you would like to do. Glad you found it. Look forward to catching up and hearing about your hols xxx
Kate - you go holiday lady! take as much comment space as you need. That's a brilliant memory, I am sure it will stay with them too xx I made my kids memory photo albums this week, Miss L remembers but Mr G prob won't, it seems so important to get it down while I remember!

 
At 26 August 2011 at 04:53 , Blogger Claire Justine said...

Lovely written post,a very emotional one to,
sounds a lovely place to be,I want to visit this place :)

 
At 30 August 2011 at 13:34 , Blogger Rachel said...

Hello again - just to say, I enjoyed reading this post so much that I've gone and put it in the carnival - hope you don't mind :)
http://www.manana-mama.com/2011/08/carnival-season.html

 
At 30 August 2011 at 23:22 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thank Clairejustine x
Manana mama - not at all, thank you lovely x

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home