This Page

has been moved to new address

Little Legacy #7 Magic Sleep Solution

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Little Legacy #7 Magic Sleep Solution

Thursday 18 August 2011

Little Legacy #7 Magic Sleep Solution

Last night my 4yo daughter couldn't sleep, she was hot and over excited from the day still.  Tears fell down her scrunched up face.  'I can't get to sleep Mummy' she wailed.  But the minute she heard the first words from the relaxation exercise my mum taught me, the muscles in her face relaxed, and a peaceful smile crept across her face.

It's magic, try it out sometime.  

(In your calmest, most soothing voice, because this magic means you will be cracking open the wine in under 5 minutes...)
Breathe in, breathe out
Breathe in 1,2, breathe out 1,2
Breathe in 123, breathe out 123
Breathe in 1234, breathe out 1234

Breathe in and scrunch your toes.  Breathe out let them go.
Breathe in and scrunch your legs.  Breathe out let them go.

And so you work your way up the body scrunching and relaxing. The older the child, the more you can break down the body parts.   Sometimes it takes two attempts, but more often than not, I find she's drifted off by the time she has scrunched and relaxed her forehead.

What do you do to calm your children at bedtime?  Did you learn some magic tricks for soothing fraught children from your relations?  Do share.

Or do you have a completely different little legacy to share?  For more info on linking a post to Little Legacy see the little Legacy tab above, companions on the journey are always made very welcome. Or leave a comment and tell me about the little legacies you have been thinking about. Have a lovely week.

@AResidence


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 18 August 2011 at 15:01 , Anonymous Muddling Along said...

This is a brilliant suggestion - we've been struggling to get Bigger to go to sleep but I'm going to give this a whirl. Teaching her to turn off and relax is something I'm really keen to do - there's nothing worse than not being able to sleep

 
At 18 August 2011 at 15:33 , Blogger jazzygal said...

A lovely solution...must try it on myself!!

xx Jazzy

 
At 18 August 2011 at 19:47 , Blogger Emma said...

That's lovely, and yes, I will try it on myself at some point... Much more interesting than sheep!! :)

 
At 19 August 2011 at 14:46 , Anonymous SmartLivingDiva said...

Hello!
This is one of my personal favourites, learned from a yoga class - it never occurred to me to try it on the girls - I'll have to give it a go!
Freya
xx

 
At 19 August 2011 at 18:16 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Muddling Along - It's horrible isn't it. Just remembered my mum's other trick was to turn the pillow over, or to sleep at the other end of the bed. Husband thinks me wierd when he wakes up to my feet, but it works.
Jazzygal and emma - yes try it on yourself too!
Smart Living Diva - hello there! Spot on I think mum learnt it at yoga and I learnt it again as a Drama student.

 
At 20 August 2011 at 06:02 , Blogger Catching the Magic said...

Lovely! I have to do something similar with my 5 year old quite often, as she's a very active, busy lass from morning to night!

 
At 21 August 2011 at 00:25 , Blogger Nickie O'Hara said...

Relaxation techniques are great - I've used a few myself - the two best ones are 1. imagine ever part of your body relaxing, staring at your toes... I'm usually asleep by the time I get to my waist - and 2. think of everything in one room - right down to the lightswitch, the wallpaper pattern, the pile on the carpet - fine details.

I wrote a post for "When I Was A Kid" this week about bedtime stories - I used to go to sleep listening to a record or a tape; now it's an mp3/podcast - 30-odd years later I still find it hard to nod off without hearing a voice in the background

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home