This Page

has been moved to new address

Dear Diary Little Legacy 19

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Dear Diary Little Legacy 19

Thursday 17 November 2011

Dear Diary Little Legacy 19


Wednesday 16th November 2011
I awoke to voices shouting 'Shark'.  I stumbled out of bed and down the landing to find L and G performing daring sea rescues up the stairs, using the sheets that were drying over the banister. We scrambled through the school run, making it by seconds.  I worked at home in the day and after school we picked Daddy and his friend A up from the train station. Kids were very tired but excited to see them.

Wednesday 16th November 1983
Ill again? We went to the Doctors who gave you some medicine.  You and your brother made a library, went to Gran's, made a bookmark, decided to collect stamps and generally didn't stop.


The first entry is mine, the second my mum's.  My mum was a great diarist, I am a lapsed one, although perhaps my blog has filled that space.  When I was 5, the same age as my daughter is now, my mum wrote a diary just for me.  My brother was also exactly the same age as my son is now.

I'm enjoying in dipping in, seeing the world from a 5 year old's perspective, sympathising with the frustrations my mum clearly felt at managing two small children, and relishing as she did, the milestones and the magical stuff children do.  It's comforting to know even though she's not here to ask about those times, that I have a connection to them.

Do you have diaries of people in your family?  Do you keep a diary?
@AResidence

Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors.  Feel free to link up a little legacy you've been thinking about this week, or to leave one in the comments.  Here's the code and here's more on Little Legacy


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 17 November 2011 at 16:37 , Anonymous Midlife Singlemum said...

What a lovely thing to have. I suppose, as you say, our blogs will do the same thing for our children. But somehow it's not the same as a little handwritten book....

 
At 17 November 2011 at 18:43 , Blogger Mel said...

What an absolutely wonderful gift to have from your mom! I only have my mom's handwriting in recipes which I also love. I used to journal and now, like you, pretty much blog. I actually recently ran across a pile of old journals and was shocked at how many were complete. Great post.

 
At 17 November 2011 at 21:16 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post! As you know from one of my previous Little Legacies my mum kept a diary religiously. It's so precious to be able to read about life from our mum's perspective and I'm pleased that you have got the opportunity to do so. My dad is in Spain at the moment and will be bringing my mum's old diaries with him. Reading through those will be a great winter project!

 
At 18 November 2011 at 07:19 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

The most touching post I have read. How wonderful that your mother kept a diary for you and that her words, memory and of course through you, she will live forever.

 
At 18 November 2011 at 10:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely that your Mum wrote that for you and it must be great to dip into your 5 year old life.

I have a few bit's but many when I was 9 or so. It always makes me smile.

Like Mel I have recipes with my Mum's writing and some cards. I have to admit I love seeing her writing but sometimes it does make me feel sad. xxx

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home