This Page

has been moved to new address

Zug the Bug Little Legacy 20

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Zug the Bug Little Legacy 20

Thursday 24 November 2011

Zug the Bug Little Legacy 20

The start of this week was plagued by strange vortexes, I think triggered by having a virus, the cold weather and my big black duffel coat coming out of hibernation.  I was continually taken back to the bitterly cold walk to and from the hospital to see my Mum back in January, with my brother and Dad.

Another vortex opened, taking me back to talking on my mobile phone outside the hospice, and watching my breath form clouds of steam.  Somehow when I put on mascara, I am often whisked into another vortex which finds me sitting on a particular bench outside the hospital, probably then I was trying not to smudge it.

I took Mr G to the park, thinking it would do us good to be outside, no matter how cold. We spent a happy ten minutes burying 'treasure' in the sandpit. Then a little girl and her Gran sat down next to us. I'm still not great at these situations, these little reminders of what's missing still catch me off guard. Fortunately Mr G dragged me off to find more treasure.

Later that evening I found a little legacy on my daughter's newly tidied bookshelf.  The perfect antidote to the day's vortexes:


My Mum found it in Oxfam a couple of years ago.  It's been one of my daughter L's favourite books.  Now she's in reception class and learning to read.  Her teacher has asked us to focus on sounding the first letter of each word.  Many days L is just too tired and doesn't want to.  But finding Zug the Bug again enthused her.  This set of books make that fun, each page the first letter of the word changes, zug, bug, lug, slug, mug. 

Loss leaves gaping holes, but then little legacies come and fill them. mum would be a much more patient at teaching L to read and G to find treasure, but she did an amazing job of preparing me to do it. She left little hints and tips absolutely everywhere.  I'm reminded again of the words of Kahlil Gibran:

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

I wish I had paid more attention the very last time mum came to visit, she made a huge fuss out of reading both children stories, I would love to know which books she read them that night.  We kept poking our head upstairs wondering if she had finished, but no. She got cross with me and my husband for rushing through stories without talking about them, as parents sometimes do after a long day.  

Now when I read stories at the end of the day I often feel emotional, a powerful feeling that it's just me, my child and a book at the end of a day filled with distractions.  But it's a magical time and one I cherish.

With both children sleeping soundly that night, I crept upstairs to my desk in the attic.  My subconscious must have been playing games that day because it took me to Why Mummy Why's post in which she explains the joy and pain of a long forgotten book so beautifully and humorously.

Little legacy is a remembrance project , a positive and creative space, to celebrate small things handed down by predecessors.  Feel free to link up a little legacy you've been thinking about this week, or to leave one in the comments.  Here's the code and here's more on Little Legacy


@AResidence


Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 24 November 2011 at 10:53 , Blogger Super Amazing Mum (Super AM) said...

how lovely - I hate the whole dinner/bath/homework/teeth routine but the best bit of my day is reading with the kids...I then spend 5 mins alone with each of them (in age order, youngest first) as it gives them that special time to tell me if anything is bothering them......You write beautifully about your mum and it moves me every time. I love your legacies xxx

 
At 24 November 2011 at 11:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post as ever. I think that people sort of know when their days are very limited. I was always pleased that on Mum's last visit to my house, something made me give her half of the roses my husband had bought me for valentine's day. I love that saying too. Will link up as you suggest

 
At 24 November 2011 at 11:09 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

SAM - love that it's a time to talk too, you're right it's really special time. Thanks for the encouragement xxx

 
At 24 November 2011 at 11:11 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Kate - they do know don't they, I read that somewhere. I think I knew too, I took lots of photos and video, sounds like you knew too. That's a beautiful gesture with the roses :) the subconscious is so powerful isn't it?

 
At 24 November 2011 at 14:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pleased that you blogged about this. Love that our mum's can help shape our children even though they are sadly no longer with us.

I went with a light-hearted post this week all about eyebrows!

 
At 24 November 2011 at 18:05 , Anonymous @byebyebirdieuk said...

i love your little legacy posts. have left one of my own back on my blog (hidden underneath a cotton wool snowman) :)

 
At 24 November 2011 at 19:27 , Anonymous Rhiannon (@The_Last_Slayer) said...

Your post has brought tears to my eyes and reminded me how important it is to treasure our time with those will love. You can never tell someone I love you enough.

 
At 25 November 2011 at 05:56 , Blogger Sublime Dream said...

We have that book!!! I love it! :) there is a whole series! Sorry about your mom, nothing can fill that void I am sure, but that is a good and true quote! You should read the book I'll love you forever. It's a kids book.

 
At 25 November 2011 at 07:06 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

But why mummy why - thanks, something lighthearted was just why I needed!

 
At 25 November 2011 at 07:07 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Byebyebirdie- thank you, I loved yours too, again just what I needed, A Christmas acorn hunt!

 
At 25 November 2011 at 07:07 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Rhiannon - I have never lived in the now so much, it's a lovely place to be :)

 
At 25 November 2011 at 07:08 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Sublime Dream - thanks :) we have got rig the dog too and pat the cat is an app now!

 
At 25 November 2011 at 14:45 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

What a lovely legacy.

Looks like a great book for learning rhymes and initial letter sounds.

 
At 25 November 2011 at 15:00 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the pat the cat app for the iPad, your daughter would love it x

 
At 26 November 2011 at 16:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheekily, have done another Legacy link up as think it applies even though inspired by Britmums blog prompt. Hope you don't mind.

 
At 26 November 2011 at 20:25 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Here cones the girls - it's great for those things :)
Right from the start - it's fab isn't it?
Kate - it's your project too, Link up as many as you like :)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home