This Page

has been moved to new address

Searching for Blue Skies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Searching for Blue Skies

Monday 21 November 2011

Searching for Blue Skies


I've had the feeling for a while now.  Something's wrong.  I'm looking for something and I don't know what.  There's a cog missing. The finely tuned engine that is the Alexander Residence (the real one, not the virtual one) needs a service.

I realised what I am missing is our caravan.  We have been far too busy, new schools, new jobs, we've let Autumn slip by without a weekend away, and half term too.  Much as I love getting away to the seaside in the Summer, I also love escaping up in the colder months, with the heaters on the caravan is so cosy.  There is nothing that beats the sound of rain on the roof when you're snuggled up in bed.

I worked out we have spent the equivalent of 2 out of the last 14 months in our touring caravan.  It has made such a difference to our family life.  It brings us all back together when we are out of synch.  It gives me and Mr A a chance to catch up over a bottle of wine, without the lure of the laptop or television.


It gives us chance to explore the country, see nature from our window and spend time together as a family.


So far Winter has been kind, so I'm wondering if we can squeeze in a weekend away before the madness of December.

What do you do to keep your family in synch?

There is a sponsored link in this post for Caravan Club insurance, a product we currently use.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 21 November 2011 at 09:21 , Blogger Looking for Blue Sky said...

Well of course I simply HAD to read this post... I used to bring my kids down to a seaside village in Co Wexford in Ireland's sunny south east to escape, but now my eldest is 19, and for other reasons, that no longer works and we have become a bit disjointed. Reading this reminds me that I need to introduce something new to bind us together as a family x

 
At 21 November 2011 at 09:34 , Anonymous Rhiannon (@The_Last_Slayer) said...

Because the kids are so little, we're still in survival mode and don't do anything like this yet. From a couple point of view, we have evenings where mobile phones and laptops are firmly switched off so we can reconnect with 'proper' conversation. Your post has really got me thinking about the future though.....and about holidays!

 
At 21 November 2011 at 10:42 , Anonymous Midlife Singlemum said...

We had a touring caravan when I was a child and the best thing was all of us cosy inside while the weather beat down on the roof. Hours of family card games with plenty of crisps and lemonade. Then reading tucked into sleepingbags on our bunks. Occasionally the weather broke and they made us go for a walk and 'appreciate' nature.

 
At 21 November 2011 at 16:58 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

So wish I had experienced caravaning. Must do so soon as looks like a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing lady x

 
At 21 November 2011 at 20:46 , Anonymous Emma said...

Your caravan sounds lovely. I've always hankered after one myself - especially one of those silver Airstream ones you see in the US!

 
At 21 November 2011 at 20:51 , Anonymous Lexie Bleasdale said...

A long dog walk sorts us lot out! I've been hankering after a camper van for a long time now. OH not so keen on camping but I'm working on it. I hope you get to take your break.

 
At 21 November 2011 at 21:51 , Anonymous Barefoot Mahala said...

Sherwood Forest is where we go to get back in synch. We live nearby and we were married there. The kids love it too.

 
At 21 November 2011 at 22:28 , Blogger Nikki - A Mother in France said...

We hired a campervan a couple of years ago and toured the beaches of Northern spain (which was where the sun was at the time). Had a great time, but we can't get a campervan big enough for all of us. Last year we hired a villa in spain and our eldest (21) came with us too for the first time in ages. We had a fantastic time, just swimming by day and cards and wine by night. Sometimes you just need to get away to reconnect. It's well worth the effort :) Thanks for sharing.

 
At 21 November 2011 at 22:51 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

@lookingfor blue sky - so glad you did, I was glad I could visit you back today :)
Rhiannon - we so need the phones banned in our house, borrowing that one :)
@MLSM - you describe it perfectly :) made me laugh.
@Honestmum - xx
@Emma - that would be fab!

 
At 21 November 2011 at 22:53 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

@Lexie - good luck with that, campervan's are perfect for dogs surely?
Barefoot Mahala - you're up the road :) Love it there too.
@nikki - That sounds gorgeous! Yes can see the problem as kids get older, I was told by someone at a site when my eldest was 4, to reckon on ten more years of family caravanning.

 
At 22 November 2011 at 09:58 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

Love this post. I feel like this every winter too. A campervan sounds fun to just get away. I like to head down south and spend a bit of time near the sea and that sorts me out.

 
At 22 November 2011 at 19:32 , Blogger Emma said...

What do we do... Hmmm, we go exploring somewhere and try to forget about all the stresses and strains. A bit like you, but without the caravan... Maybe we should get one! Hope you get a break before Christmas hits! Emma :) xx

 
At 23 November 2011 at 20:25 , Blogger Mel said...

I hope you get to do it. Looks absolutely lovely!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home