This Page

has been moved to new address

My grandmother's recipe for treacle toffee

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: My grandmother's recipe for treacle toffee

Friday 5 November 2010

My grandmother's recipe for treacle toffee

My Grandma made the most amazing treacle toffee.  Rock solid to start, but then chewy and explosive to taste.  There are definitely some special ingredients, rum for one.  For me this is the taste of Bonfire night.  My Grandma was always cooking and baking and ran the miner's canteen, so knew how to put on a fine spread.  She died shortly before Mr G was born, but this family tradition lives on.


Grandma and Miss L as a baby
  Grandma's Treacle Toffee

2oz butter
2 heaped dessertspoons treacle
Juice of half a lemon
10-12 dessertspoons of sugar
1 tbs rum
1 tbs vinegar
grated lemon rind

Butter a shallow tray, boil all the ingredients rapidly in a pan.  Test regularly by dropping a bit into a cup of cold water, until the thread of toffee can be snapped, this means it's ready.  Leave to cool and divide up (possibly with a hammer).

Have a great bonfire night!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 5 November 2010 at 13:44 , Blogger Metal Mummy said...

That looks so yummy! Think I may have to try it...
And what a lovely picture x

 
At 5 November 2010 at 13:50 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks! Do it but watch your teeth! Nice to see you, ooh I owe you a visit.

 
At 7 November 2010 at 18:06 , Blogger What She Said said...

I love treacle toffee so much - but I'm not sure my fillings will hold up!

 
At 7 November 2010 at 20:42 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi Tina
Yep its a double edged sword!

 
At 9 November 2010 at 13:02 , Blogger Kate said...

Mmmm - good christmas gift maybe..Def gonna try it out. Thanks for passing it on.

 
At 9 November 2010 at 21:45 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Good idea - I am thinking I might make/bake a few pressies this year.

 
At 7 July 2011 at 17:14 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

Ooh yum and love this idea. Well done you. I've said it before (I think) and I'll say it again, you are a creative genius x

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home