This Page

has been moved to new address

The Gallery: How to celebrate your birthday while pregnant.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: The Gallery: How to celebrate your birthday while pregnant.

Tuesday 30 November 2010

The Gallery: How to celebrate your birthday while pregnant.

It's always difficult to know what to do on your birthday when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.  At least for me, prior to kids, birthdays and alcohol went hand in hand.

My Uni friends and I have a camping weekend every May bank holiday, which is also my birthday. I missed a few due to pregnancies and births, but the year after Mr G was born I was fed up to the back teeth of low key birthdays.  The girls suggested camping in our back garden as I was still feeding the boy who would have nothing to do with bottles.  At the last minute I decided to do something special to thank them for giving up on a more exciting location and hired a tipi. The Cowgirls and Indians theme followed.


I love this shot as my good friend N is so "in role" both as man and cowboy.  There's a kind of moody smoke haze from the chimenea (yep I only learnt that words in my thirties) but easy relaxed smiles of good mates catching up too.

Earlier in the day we staged a cowboy raid on the "Native American village" in which baby G was "stolen".  I have no idea where this idea came from although I have googled this and found a couple of Native American legends about stolen babies, so there must be some kernels of truth in our narrative.  As you can see we stayed in role brilliantly, no one had the giggles and no baby was harmed in the making of this legend.


The wonderful Anji from The Tipi Hire Company came and put it up in the garden, at very short notice, and supplied us with cushions and mats and fairy lights.  Tipis are magical and very cosy, later we gossiped into the night watching the stars through a flap in the roof.  

It was the best low alcohol birthday celebration, although I just remembered hiring a motor boat on the Thames for my birthday while pregnant with Miss L which rates highly too:


Me and Miss L as a bump at the wheel
Mr A


Looking forward to sharing in everyone else's celebrations this week. Why not visit The Gallery?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 30 November 2010 at 22:12 , Anonymous @jencull (jen) said...

I like that idea:) If anyone wants to create a new legend and borrow my baby for a few hours send them my way :D Jen

 
At 30 November 2010 at 22:15 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Ha ha, good one! I know, I kind of regretted not leaving the little man and just going out for a few hours!

 
At 1 December 2010 at 00:00 , Anonymous ebabee likes said...

Coincidentally I'm sure I've hired the exact same boat for my hubby's birthday celebrations. It was prior to kids/pregnancy so copious amounts of alcohol were also consumed.

 
At 1 December 2010 at 10:38 , Blogger Headhuntress said...

What fun, that's a whole celebration post to enjoy - thank you. Great imagination for the adults to have fun too!

 
At 1 December 2010 at 11:08 , Blogger Leadership Learning said...

Sounds like you had loads of fun! I was pregnant on my 21st so whilst everyone was getting merry I was devouring the offerings of the buffet table!

 
At 1 December 2010 at 11:40 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi ebabee- I noticed as I was posting the number for the boat company is on there - we make a good advert for them.

Hello Headnuntress - yes it's easy to put all the imagination into the kids birthdays these days.

Wow Laura, I can't complain, I had alcohol up til my 28th birthday.

 
At 1 December 2010 at 14:14 , Blogger SLM said...

YOu certainly seem to know how to celebrate your birthday, makes me feel that I might make more of an effort next year as I love birthdays. Its my husbands bday tomorrow and he is so low key about it, it is untrue. I know he wont be happy as we have got him a little something as he's not even that bothered about pressies. He'll have a shock this time next year though as its the big 4-0 and he is having a massive party whether he wants one or not!

 
At 1 December 2010 at 14:17 , Anonymous SeaThreePeeO said...

Fantastic pictures! Certainly looks like everyone managed to have a fabulous time even with the low alcohol levels

 
At 1 December 2010 at 14:27 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Actually I think you both hit on something...these might have been better than the alcoholic ones! I owe it to my child free mates though - they still have the energy to party...

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home