This Page

has been moved to new address

M6 theatre Sunflowers and Sheds

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: M6 theatre Sunflowers and Sheds

Monday 22 November 2010

M6 theatre Sunflowers and Sheds


I love taking my two to the theatre. Theatre is my thing, I studied it at uni and taught it in secondary school until I had kids. We have discovered some seriously clever children's theatre out there.

Today I took Miss L to see Sunflowers and Sheds by M6 theatre company at the Lakeside Arts Centre, Nottingham. It did us both the world of good.  Sitting in a darkened room for an hour while we both sat spellbound. I didn't realise how much I needed that.

Today, even though I say I love theatre, it was a real effort to leave the house.  I had a little Prosecco hangover after celebrating a good friend passing her driving test.  I also had a parenting hangover after a week on my own with the kids.  I was beginning to feel like I had lost myself in the mists of motherhood again.  But I am so glad we went.

The moment Miss L slipped her hand into mine in the car park and started bouncing with excitement I perked up. My head's been so full of those irrational niggling doubts about my parenting this week, but hearing her say 'We always go to the theatre it's exciting',  reminded me I am sharing something very special with her, my thing, my passion. (Mr A is currently sharing his with her, teaching her how to use the Nintendo DS).

She also told me a story in the car, and stories are another passion of mine. I'll admit, like many parents I am sure, I don't always have the patience to tell kid's ones. Those times where I have made up a story when I am trying to drive or make dinner, seem to be paying off though.  Miss L's was a good story, The Tiger Who Came for Tea meets the Alexander family meets Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs.

So Sunflowers and Sheds. It was beautiful. Written for my mood today.  Full of reminders to appreciate beauty, magic and friendship. A old man befriends a Russian girl on the neighbouring allotment and the friendship gives him the courage he needs to make a change in his life. It really proved that children's theatre doesn't need to involve cartoon characters, puppets and silly songs. Although that can be fun, but nowhere near as nourishing to the soul. Miss L enjoyed it too, especially the music, friendship theme, the flowers growing in wellies, the russian dolls and the glitter ball.


Pictures by M6

Its heading to Runcorn, Brighton, London and Birmingham next.  Suitable for 4+.  Click to catch the magic!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 22 November 2010 at 12:20 , Blogger Kerry said...

Sounds lovely - it's always really special to spend some one on one time together when younger siblings come along. Glad you had fun (and the prosecco sounds fun too!) x

 
At 22 November 2010 at 17:07 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi Kerry
You are spot on, it's that one on one time. Cheers! x

 
At 23 November 2010 at 06:31 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

I can totally relate to the struggle to get out of the front door some days - but I think you pretty much always feel better once you do :)

The play sounds great (theatre is a huge passion of mine too) - I'll check out when it's coming to London x

 
At 23 November 2010 at 11:20 , Blogger SLM said...

Theatre sounds lovely, although I am not sure mine would cope with hving to sit for a long period of time yet. Is this Lakeside theatre on Notts Uni campus?

 
At 23 November 2010 at 14:41 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi Lucy
You are right, it's just the getting out of the door. I think it tours to Bethnal Green in Dec. Loved your Diwali Drama workshop on your blog!

Hi SuperLittleMen
My boy has been going since he was just one, now nearly two, he's suprised me, there's plenty of theatre now aimed at little ones. He was utterly spellbound by quite a few things at Lakeside. Yep it's part of Notts uni :)

 
At 23 November 2010 at 21:34 , Blogger This Mid 30s Life said...

Loved reading that!! I have to get my act together and book something now.

 
At 23 November 2010 at 22:54 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks :) Oooh do it, you're spoilt for choice in London -I miss London so much for it!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home