This Page

has been moved to new address

Thirty three years later

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Thirty three years later

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Thirty three years later

I love Tara's Gallery prompt this week.  To recreate an old photo.  I have been trying to get my Dad on board with a gallery post for a while as he takes great photos.  So here is my mum with her grandson Mr G, taken by me.  And here is me and my mum back in 1977, lost in a forest in Northumberland, whilst on holiday, as taken by my Dad.    Posted by Picasa

My dad is definitely the better photographer.  I took mine really quickly, just because I saw the original picture unfolding in front of my eyes.  The strange thing was I had convinced myself that in the original photo I was on the right side.  Funny how time plays tricks on your perception.  Almost like I was seeing the picture as a mirror image, from the baby inside it.  I was a bit gutted when my dad emailed the pic to me this morning and I saw I had got it wrong.  But then I like the mirror image effect. In Shakespeare's words (forgive me I used to be a Drama teacher) 'to hold as 'twere the mirror up to nature'.  I hope I look this gorgeous in 33 years time.

I won't tell you how long it took me to work out how to stick the two pics together, but I will say I have discovered the joys of Picassa collages. Huge thanks to Sarah at Catching the Magic, a beautiful blog you must visit.  Another new skill...

Enjoy your trip round the gallery, I am really looking forward to this one. 

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 17 November 2010 at 11:40 , Blogger Kate said...

Wow that looks very professional! Both gorgeous pics. Hadn't seen the Gallery prompt but very excited to do one now - what a great idea!

 
At 17 November 2010 at 11:53 , Blogger Trish said...

Your mum doesn't seem to have changed a bit - both super photos.

 
At 17 November 2010 at 12:08 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hi Kate - thank you. Def recommend the gallery
Hi Trish - Will have to make sure my mum sees this :)

 
At 17 November 2010 at 15:58 , Blogger Harriet said...

Trish is absolutely right. And I'm very impressed with the sticking together bit too.

 
At 17 November 2010 at 16:46 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks planb. I am looking forward to making some whizzy collages next, picassa looks like alot of fun.

 
At 17 November 2010 at 20:43 , Anonymous Notes To Self Plus Two said...

super post for the gallery - love it xx
ps. my blog has moved to http://www.notestoselfplustwo.com, come say hello
xx Notes xx

 
At 17 November 2010 at 21:46 , Anonymous Catching the Magic said...

Gorgeous! Striking similarities. I really like the 'reflective' perspective of the two photographs facing one another. The photograph your Dad took is beautiful - doesn't look like a 'typical' 1970s pic (know what I mean?!). Your Mum is beautiful and you share the same smile. I'm looking forward to going through the gallery entries this week too. So happy to have found it and your blog!

 
At 18 November 2010 at 21:53 , Blogger What She Said said...

Love those photos, I think you've done a fab job!

Tina x

 
At 19 November 2010 at 13:16 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Notes, will check it out.

Hello Sarah, glad you liked it, and thanks again for the inspiration.

Hi Tina, why thank you!

 
At 19 November 2010 at 14:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your photos, very clever and full of meaning.
Thanks for joining in the MAFF today, nice to meet you. It's still in it's baby stages but I hope it grows

 
At 19 November 2010 at 14:32 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

hello marisworld, its a lovely idea, it will definitely grow :)

 
At 19 November 2010 at 19:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really lovely photos. Your mum looks fab too!

 
At 21 November 2010 at 15:59 , Anonymous Lucy Quick said...

Both gorgeous photos; and such a fantastic idea to recreate an old photo. Would make a fantastic Christmas gift :) x

 
At 22 November 2010 at 07:47 , Blogger Carrie said...

Oh man! Your pictures have me all sentimental! To see a mom holding her baby and then holding her child's baby...
Some days it does go to fast. Like if you blink it will be gone.

 
At 22 November 2010 at 17:10 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Mummyfiles, I'll tell my mum you said that too :)
Hi Lucy, thanks, hey good idea!
Hi Carrie, it really does, that's why i like blogging to try and stop it going too fast!

 
At 22 December 2010 at 21:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A random comment on an old post here, but I've just seen this and I love it! Your Mum has hardly changed, but there she is with her baby's baby... just think, 30 years down the line and it could be us holding our children's children. *sob*

 
At 23 December 2010 at 23:30 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

I do like a random comment on an old post! I look at my two now can't even begin to imagine them as parents! It must be such a magicla delong meeting a grandchild don't you think?

 
At 12 April 2011 at 22:44 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mirror image is quite startling, and very cool too. Also, amazing how much your Mum in 1977 looks like you now and how Mr G already looks like Mr A!

 
At 13 April 2011 at 09:06 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hello Anon,
So true. I wish I knew who you were, I think you may know me in real life?

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home