This Page

has been moved to new address

Surviving the school run with a toddler

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Surviving the school run with a toddler

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Surviving the school run with a toddler

'Mummy pull!',  'I do it my own', helping sis home from school, nice belt.
How free range should a 2/3 year old be?  I ask myself that a lot.  I read something recently that suggested not as much as my boy is, but I think once you leave the buggy behind it's hard to go back.

We have done the school run, with Miss L for a whole six days now.  The main problem is keeping nearly 3yo Mr G happy.  I see lots of kids his age sat in buggies, but having glimpsed the freedom to roam offered to his big sister, he will not be restrained. The trusty old McLaren buggy was retired some months back, after an afternoon of triumphant escape acts in the city centre.  My boy would give Houdini a run for his money.

He loves the balance bike and scooter, and he will go a long way on them.  But he sometimes runs out of steam part way home and I end up carrying him, the scooter, Miss L's book bag, a pile of coats...as I wrote last week, I am my mother's child, fully capable of producing school run scenes resembling Quentin Blake illustrations.

I found a great solution to this recently, the Scoot'nPull.  I threatened to invent one a few years ago, but I didn't, and another mum did, look, here she is:


It's a funky strap in a range of great colours, that attaches to the scooter so you can pull it.  It was surprisingly effortless to pull him along.  The hand loop also fits round the back wheel to make a carry strap, great to free up a hand or hang over the edge of a pushchair.



We also found it really useful for stopping the boy wonder from scooting off too fast and to keep him close by on busy roads or in crowded areas where his need for speed terrifies me.  I feel some parents let their kids go way too fast, too young, next to major roads on these things.  I can't bear it.  But this way he can scoot or balance bike along while I talk to Miss L about her day.

How free range are your kids? When did your say goodbye to the buggy? Any tips for keeping little ones in check through the school run?

Giveaway
If you have a boy or girl wonder that needs tethering, or yanking home, I have some Scoot n' Pull's to give away.  UK entries only.  Please leave a comment below and make sure you leave your twitter or blog contact details.  Or you can buy one at the bargain price of £6.99 here.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 14 September 2011 at 22:29 , Blogger Sarah Anguish said...

This looks a fab idea, please count me in

Twitter: @littleboo_21

 
At 15 September 2011 at 08:36 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

Brilliant post and loved your reference to Quentin Blake, made me laugh out loud. Ooh yes count me in @HonestMummy. Thanks

 
At 18 September 2011 at 21:51 , Blogger WeAreWildThings said...

That's such a great idea. My 2-year old figured out had to get out of the buggy (and car-seat!) months ago and I'm desperate to go buggy-less but struggle with the toddler and scooter carrying, especially it you need to carry anything else too.

Count me in @BekKitandCake or http://wearewildthings.blogspot.com

 
At 18 September 2011 at 22:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are well funky!

I like and good post x

 
At 23 September 2011 at 21:40 , Anonymous Kirsty said...

I wish I could get D to ride his scooter or bike. He told me a while ago that he didn't want to ride his bike because if it went fast it would be "too stressful" - I wonder where he gets that from?! He only turned 3 a month ago and he walks to nursery and back (unless we're pushed for time, in which case I sometimes carry him in the sling, with the little one in the buggy).

 
At 26 September 2011 at 12:33 , Blogger 76 sunflowers said...

Ha ha my 3 yr old still sits in the buggy for the school run BUT we do have to walk alongside a v busy road so am training him in safety issues first! If not too late for a scooter strap then please count me in x x

 
At 5 October 2011 at 22:47 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

The random number generator at random.org said 2 and 4, Congrats Honest Mum and Northern Mum!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home