This Page

has been moved to new address

Holding on for tomorrow

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Holding on for tomorrow

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Holding on for tomorrow

I have never mourned the baby days, I loved them, but I am very much a present and future person. Two children is my limit and I'm good with that.  I have always loved that with children you never know what tomorrow will hold. 

But as I watched our cot go to a new home this week, there was a sudden pang of sadness. After four and a half years it was no longer needed, we have moved on so much, so fast.    I flash backed to this:


And wondered how it became this:


There isn't time to dwell with small children around, but I do believe in rites of passage.   I gave them a huge hug, told them how proud of them I was, they licked my face (most unappealing new habit) and we waved the cot goodbye.  They both looked so big suddenly and I felt really excited about the future. Lots of lovely tomorrows.

And this is a fab tomorrow anthem.  And so we hold each other tightly and hold on for tomorrow.



Watching this reminds me that Damon Albarn has had a few more tomorrows since he graced my bedroom walls in the 1990s.

In case you were wondering, the cot has gone to a good home through realcycle, the organisation that helps people recycle things in their community and keep things out if landfill. Happy ending.


Ths week The Gallery theme is tommorrow, click on the badge to read more.

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At 13 April 2011 at 09:57 , Blogger AlwaysStriving said...

its always a poignant moment in our house too, but as you sat present and future and onwards we go x

 
At 13 April 2011 at 10:06 , Blogger Rachel said...

Fab post, such cute picture and I LOVE that song.

 
At 13 April 2011 at 10:52 , Blogger Emma said...

They are so sweet! What is it with the licking face thing at that age though? I think my son thinks he's a dog!

 
At 13 April 2011 at 11:07 , Blogger Him Up North said...

Ooh I wish I'd posted a "tomorrow" song now... Great post :)

 
At 13 April 2011 at 11:08 , Anonymous Vickie said...

its scary how fast they grow isn't it

 
At 13 April 2011 at 11:31 , Blogger Leadership Learning said...

Tomorrow with children comes around far too quickly!

 
At 13 April 2011 at 11:55 , Blogger fran said...

What a lovely post and something I've been feeling myself this week. xx

 
At 13 April 2011 at 11:56 , Anonymous tiddlyompompom said...

aww, I love the one of both of them in the cot :)

 
At 13 April 2011 at 13:05 , Blogger Merry said...

Threw out all my baby stuff yesterday. Weird moment. Beautiful kids; they are just lovely.

 
At 13 April 2011 at 13:12 , Blogger mumsarcade said...

My cot was bought for me by my late Uncle so when we got rid of it after our three babies, I too freecycled it but checked it went to a very good home indeed. One of many rites of passage heading your way tomorrow.
My attempt is at http;//gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

 
At 13 April 2011 at 14:01 , Blogger Jenny said...

Big move then getting rid of the cot. I will feel the same when B outgrows his very soon and then J will too a couple mrs years down the line. Great post on tomorrow and lovely photos xx

 
At 13 April 2011 at 16:34 , Blogger Mari's World said...

Ah, it's a sad moment when they move out of the cot isn't it? we're moving the girls into beds over the next couple of weeks, just got to redecorate their room first!
Here's to the next stage

 
At 13 April 2011 at 16:52 , Blogger Unknown said...

very sweet. my little one is a bit younger (15 months) but I felt like that when I gave her moses basket away.

 
At 13 April 2011 at 22:29 , Anonymous TheBoyandMe said...

Oh that's cutie!

 
At 13 April 2011 at 23:54 , Anonymous WitWitWoo said...

My son licked me yesterday and said I tasted of lemon guts. Which is nice. I'm sure you taste nicer! Adorable pics - think our cot is still in the loft!

 
At 14 April 2011 at 08:36 , Anonymous Herding Cats said...

Great post. I remember when my DH went out an bought a bed for Amy when she was two without consulting me. I was so upset, I felt he was making her grow up too quickly and I wanted her to remain in her cot. daft when I think about it now.

 
At 14 April 2011 at 09:55 , Blogger Catching the Magic said...

Awww, fabulous post and sounds like a great way to 'rehome' the cot too. I am just about to let our cot go to a good friend and am more than happy to do so - I feel 'complete' in our family and am enjoying making the most of every 'tomorrow' and I know what you mean about feeling 'excited' about the future. It's lovely to watch the lives of our children's lives unfold.

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home