This Page

has been moved to new address

Life, it's bigger than this blog.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Life, it's bigger than this blog.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Life, it's bigger than this blog.


My blog is about me.  It's about me thinking about motherhood, my career, my life, my loves, my gains, my losses.  It all gets very knotted together when you have children, or at least it did for me.  There's a lot about my children here, my thoughts about them, my processing of their childhood and my parenthood.  Of course one day they may enjoy looking back, but I won't mind if they are too busy being in the now.  Now is a very good place to be.

This picture was taken when I had a whole roomful of baby clutter ready to go to charity and I felt like it was coming down on my head. Whenever something occupies my mind and makes me think, in a good or a bad way, blogging helps me tidy it up.

My blog is about me, but I write as part of a community.  I'm not the first and I won't be the last to think about parenthood and I know we all have different experiences.  I try to think before I speak, write to be read and even when things are tough, offer rays of hope.    Sometimes the editor fails to spot things of course, at which point she gives herself a good telling off.

Life is bigger. It's bigger than you. And you are not me. The lengths that I will go to. The distance in your eyes. Oh no I've said too much ...

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 20 April 2011 at 14:24 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a brilliant post! All so true.

Great picture too!

 
At 20 April 2011 at 14:26 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks, I found it tough this week, lovely that you thought so x

 
At 20 April 2011 at 15:06 , Blogger Mari's World said...

Great photo, looks like you're about to topple over! I love your woreds too. It was a tough week but it's really interesting seeing what people have come up with.
AND, nice new header - you have been busy!

 
At 20 April 2011 at 15:13 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thoughtful, reflective, imaginative - everything this blog is - must say you didn't do yourself any favours in the photo ;)

 
At 20 April 2011 at 15:33 , Blogger hinapublish said...

I agree, very reflective.. and love the bit at the end.. is that a song, it seems so familiar... put me out of my misery?? xx

 
At 20 April 2011 at 16:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what you say about blogging helping to tidy your mind, really insightful. I too like the new header although slightly missing the callcentre pirates (a mental picture that got me through a painful British Gas debacle)

 
At 20 April 2011 at 16:53 , Anonymous Kirsty said...

I love this post, especially what you say about blogging sorting out your thoughts. Although I see you as someone who is finding her 'religion', not losing it. *smiles smug, lyric-recognising smile*

 
At 20 April 2011 at 17:28 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Mari, actually it was a present from my brother.
Gemma-so kind, sometimes I have to show myself in a not so glam light!
EWNY - REM!
Dichotomy of - call centre pirates that's made my day!
Kirsty - gold star in the pop quiz, thanks for that I think so too ;)

 
At 20 April 2011 at 17:57 , Blogger mumsarcade said...

Thoughtful post which I enjoyed and a very striking image too. Good message too as this blogging can be quite addictive.
My attempt at the Gallery is over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

 
At 20 April 2011 at 18:26 , Blogger Potty Mummy said...

Great post and oh, I know that expression on your face from my own mirror...

 
At 20 April 2011 at 18:57 , Blogger Jenny said...

Brilliant post! Your words rings so true and the photo is great at summing it all up :)

 
At 20 April 2011 at 19:03 , Blogger This Mid 30s Life said...

Couldn't have been better said. x

 
At 20 April 2011 at 19:10 , Blogger Nickie O'Hara said...

excellent choice of lyrics to round it all up :)

 
At 20 April 2011 at 21:48 , Blogger MichelleTwinMum said...

A blog to tidy your mind, I love it! Just what mine does too now I think about it.

Cheers Mich x

 
At 20 April 2011 at 22:16 , Blogger overthehillmum said...

lol I really like that photo. And you've just reminded me I need to sort some stuff for charity :) x

 
At 21 April 2011 at 08:22 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

You write so beautifully, so honestly and I agree your children should live in the now and if they want to dip in, they can. I always remember being obsessed with baby pictures of my brother and I once I was 7 or so so maybe they will want to look at all the pictures. Your blog is truly wonderful as are you!

 
At 21 April 2011 at 21:07 , Blogger Rachel said...

So well put - you are always abundant with rays of hope on this blog. Always such a feeling of profound relief, to cart clutter off to the charity shop.
~M

 
At 21 April 2011 at 21:10 , Anonymous tiddlyompompom said...

I love how you describe blogging as tidying your mind. I am now off to dig out the REM cds :)

 
At 25 April 2011 at 06:02 , Anonymous Sarah (Catching the Magic) said...

Fabulous and very well said (digging that photo too and can empathise with the feeling!).

 
At 17 November 2011 at 07:49 , Blogger gidders1 said...

I know I've said it before, but I love your blog....great post!

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home