This Page

has been moved to new address

Shoot for the moon my love but be back for tea.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Shoot for the moon my love but be back for tea.

Thursday 21 April 2011

Shoot for the moon my love but be back for tea.

I have been reflecting on the children's books that have caused most chaos in our house.
Tall [Book]
Since we got Jez Alborough's Tall from the library, about a monkey who climbs progressively onto bigger and bigger animals to pursue his dream to be tall, my two year old has become obsessed with being tall.  A while back we lovingly nicknamed him Mountain Goat, because he loved climbing.  Now we are merely human climbing frames in his quest for height.   In seconds a cuddle turns into a foot on my shoulder, hands gripping my hair, snotty face grinning with satisfaction as his other foot battles for leverage in my cleavage. 'Tall! Tall! Tall!' he chants, hanging on to my hair for dear life.  Thanks a lot for that Jez.













The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers has filled my daughter's head with the idea that space travel is something you can easily achieve of a Tuesday afternoon, and as long as you have enough petrol, and while you're in space, why not catch a star or two?  It didn't take long for all this to become 'Mummy I want to go to the moon and you're not letting me' did it?  A huge tantrum over my refusal to provide a bonafide good to go spaceship, whilst driving.  (Although I don't mind soooo much because that post has been nominated for Best Post in the MADs).

I want my children to aim high, reach for the stars, shoot for the moon.  Perhaps a little less literally sometimes.  Still, these are absolutely brilliant and inspiring books.  The Way Back Home is on tour at theatres round the country. Very excited to have tickets to fill my children's heads with more schemes.

Does anyone else have any children's books that incite antisocial behaviour?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 21 April 2011 at 09:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for that. I love reading to my daughter so will get those, since they seem to inspire imagination in the little ones..!

 
At 21 April 2011 at 10:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, yes. After we read Milo "Whatever", he went around saying whatever and shrugging for weeks.

I didn't know The Way Back Home was coming here! I'd love to take Milo, he loves that book! x

 
At 21 April 2011 at 18:27 , Blogger Kate said...

Ha ha brilliant - I hadn't read that other post too - love it and hope it wins. Have you read 'Go to Bed' and 'Eat your Dinner' about a little bear who says 'nah' to everything Daddy Bear tells him to do. Yep - just what you want to teach your kids...(gorgeous books though!)

 
At 24 April 2011 at 22:39 , Anonymous Carla said...

I love this Penny. My boys have spent weeks trying to lock/unlock the front door in deference to 'Alfie gets in first'.

 
At 25 April 2011 at 05:54 , Anonymous Sarah said...

Very funny, made me chuckle and we've had a few tantrums in the past over Eric Carle's, 'Papa get the moon for me...' and Peter Pan has a lot to answer for in many households ;)

Also read the ones Kate comments about - with similar effect!

 
At 25 April 2011 at 07:59 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Hurrrah its not just me!

Abby - The Way Back Home and Catch Star. Can't actually remember which one we booked now, let me know if you are going!

Kate - thanks and haven't read those, will check them out, or maybe not!

Sarah - I nearly put that Eric Carle one in!

Carla - I love Alfie books.

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home