This Page

has been moved to new address

Back from my metaphorical fishing trip and a visit from the hobmother

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Back from my metaphorical fishing trip and a visit from the hobmother

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Back from my metaphorical fishing trip and a visit from the hobmother

Forgive me blogosphere I have sinned my last post was.. ages ago.  How ironic that I titled it Gone Fishing. 

I did have an actual holiday.  We had a week in the caravan in Malton, Yorkshire. Great spot for escaping and having fun with kids, more ideas on my camping blog. I scheduled some posts while I was away, it was the return bit that stumped me. 

My blog is like my mental filing cabinet and I feel wrong if I haven't tidied loose threads so here's some highlights of the missing time:

I downed three glasses of champers before Kate and William even said I do at a good friend's royal wedding party. I also cycled 7 miles to get there.  I am still not a royalist.

Mr A and I spent much time on the rightmove app whilst hanging out in Yorkshire. We're not moving, just restless.  We were tempted by a B and B in Robin Hood's Bay, until I remembered I already do enough laundry and cooking.

We took our bikes for a service (last used in Herne Hill c.2002), dad bought us a trailer for the kids and we've been cycling lots.

Mr A resigned and went on garden leave. After bickering for a few days about the location of the toaster and other such trivial domestic matters, we realised if we can pull it off, we have a great opportunity to share the childcare and the breadwinning for a change.

Mr A and I enjoyed the free hospitality bar at Nottingham Arena and laughed knowingly at John Bishop's stand up gags about parenthood.  We rolled home very drunk and fell asleep on the sofa, my Dad tried to make us go to bed, but we were snoring.  Just like being teenagers again.

We stayed in the most amazing party rental house in Gloustershire for a good friend's 30th, complete with hot tub, and forgot we were parents.

Until we came home to find the 2yo had flooded the house and the 4yo had found her vocation as a make up artist.  And that we had hangovers, an empty fridge and two little people who wanted to be noisy and eat lots.

My dad has grand designs on our garden and wants to foot the bill.  We've done some sketches.

We spent what would have been my mum's 64th birthday in Robin Hood's Bay, keeping busy, knowing she would have loved it.

My laptop started displaying sideways, so I threw a tantrum. Mr A let me on his so...

I finally typed up the best part of my final OU creative writing assignment, a film script. Then lost it for three hours on Mr A's PC.  Hallelujah!  Just needs lots of editing now.

I finally returned the dish from when my friend made me a lasagne just after mum died.  Dunno why but it seemed significant somehow.  She said grief is a rollercoaster, you just have to ride.  Very true.

I spent a lunchtime in children's A and E glueing Miss L's head back together. She's fine now.

A woman I met in the hot tub last weekend, told me about her husband getting a worm thing in his foot in Thailand.  I am now paranoid my sore toe is a mysterious tropical disease.

So that's it in a nutshell. 

Oh and the Applicances Online Fairy Hobmother visited and offered me some vouchers for Amazon. 
Suggestions on what books to spend it on gratefully received.

Leave a comment and he might visit you too.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 11 May 2011 at 21:28 , Anonymous Kate, WitWitWoo said...

Glad you had a lovely time - I'm sure your mum would be smiling down on you and OH snoring away! Good to have you back :)

 
At 11 May 2011 at 21:33 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

missed you. You have been busy - love the sound of hot tub!
good luck with your plans..... so I guess you are finished with OU now?

what about the latest Maggie O Farrell - have you read it? or a book on travel with small children.....?

 
At 11 May 2011 at 21:51 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Thanks Kate and Gemma, just had a good old read of your blogs, lovely places to ease my toes back into the water :)
Gemma - next Thursday I finish OU and then its my birthday, I may explode with excitement. Maggie O farrell - good plan!

 
At 12 May 2011 at 09:31 , Blogger carole said...

Wow you have been busy!

I had a visit from the Fairy Hobmother too, he gets around doesn't he :)) x

 
At 12 May 2011 at 09:38 , Blogger The Rambling Pages said...

Wow, yu have certainly had a busy time. Robin Hoods bay is lovely, we often go there in the summer from North Yorkshire. Sounds like your mum would of been enjoying everything you have been doing and you did make me laugh about falling asleep on the sofa as we did that only the other night and woke, cold and very bleary eyed about 5am, opps. I've been away from blogging for far too long and am now back with a new one, use to blog over at superlitltemen, been good catching up on your blog

 
At 12 May 2011 at 13:56 , Blogger The Rambling Pages said...

PS I meant to say di you like crime/forensic type books, as Kathy Reiches and Karin Slaughter are both good, and I have just finished The Time travellers wife which I really enjoyed although its not the kind of book you can pick up and put down, and The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas which is very sad.

 
At 19 May 2011 at 19:24 , Blogger Rachel said...

Welcome back, my you've been busy. I've been more or less missing in action lately too...though mostly just because I'm out of words...nice to have a break I suppose.

Re Amazon, 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' is a great book. Vintage, but still great. Happy reading.
~M

 
At 20 May 2011 at 15:32 , Anonymous Kath Parklover said...

That's quite a catch up list! Friends 30th sounds fab, I'm going to Latitude festival with best mate, sans daughter in June. I plan to forget I'm a parent for the weekend. (I might forget I'm married too if I get hold of Lloyd Cole at any point.. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home