This Page

has been moved to new address

Keep on running

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alexander Residence: Keep on running

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Keep on running

My husband kicked me out the house today.  The black clouds had landed and I was being miserable, it's not been an easy 2011 so far.  So he made me get my trainers and hit the ground running.  I wasn't allowed back until I did 5k.

I discovered running after my first child.  My brother made me do 5k with him, no warm up, no running and walking, just jogging 5k.  It wasn't quite a year since I had given birth.  It nearly killed me.  But I was hooked.  I loved the fact I didn't have to travel anywhere before I started, no need to hang out in a gym, no equipment.  Just me, out the front door, straight into the fresh air.

And most importantly, by running I was saying a huge pah! to all those school PE lessons that completely removed any enjoyment of exercise for me.  I was one of those kids who whined all the way round the cross country course, or walked in protest.  It wasn't that I hated exercise or was unfit, I just hated competing.

I built up to running 10k after my second child.  I did a race, hated it, but felt proud of my achievement.  Now it's enough to know I can ramp back up to running 10k on my own steam if I need a challenge.

Race for Life last year
Recently I have realised running keeps me sane. As has Mr A.  I would have been asleep on the sofa now,  but I have written this, and ordered some shopping amongst other things.  

I read about juneathon on Twitter today, basically you run and blog about it every day in June.  I am a bit late and I am not going to blog about running every day. But I am up for a run nearly every day, and I can blog it each week:

So....
June 1st 5k
June 2nd 6k run and 8k cycle
June 3rd 5k
June 4th 1 mile walk
June 5th 5k run
June 6th day off
June 7th 5k run

Is the weight falling off you ask.  No. Sickening eh?  But the fog is lifting.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 8 June 2011 at 09:55 , Blogger Emma said...

Good luck with your running schedule! I had the same attitude at school towards sport, the competitiveness bored me to tears, but my PE teacher would laugh if she could see that I do enjoy the occasional jog now and again... Happy running! Emma :)

 
At 8 June 2011 at 10:51 , Anonymous Honest Mum said...

You go girl! I am officially addicted to running too. Always loved it and it's been the best way to feel sane(r) and to lose my baby weight post bambino. You look great anyway but running is just about the physical-really helps me to relieve the stress!

 
At 8 June 2011 at 12:46 , Blogger Claire Justine said...

Great blog post,i started running after my 3rd the picked it back up after my 4th,i hated running at school and i walked when we did cross country,Thanks so much for telling me about the juneathon, sounds great,i needed something to push me out the door and what better way,glad I've found your blog, look forward to reading your month,Thanks for adding to my linky too :)

 
At 8 June 2011 at 21:57 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

So glad it wasnt just me who lagged in PE.
Thanks Emma, I am sure my teacher would laugh too, sure we made their lives tough too!
Honest Mum - such a good stress buster, as is you recent post. I am boarding that train!
Clairejustine -4 kids, wow that's a marathon in itself. Hope you like juneathon, or the mini version I am attempting.

 
At 8 June 2011 at 22:53 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well bloody done you!

i have lost my running mojo - if you see whilst out on a job please send it my way x

 
At 9 June 2011 at 18:51 , Blogger Kate said...

Yay well done! I got stuck on 5k for ages and then one day just thought I'd see how much further I could do and found myself making it to 8. As you know I did my 10k for charity last week and am so proud of myself. I know for a fact you'll get there - just wait for a good day then go for it!

 
At 9 June 2011 at 18:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did some running (well jogging really) earlier in the year. I couldn't go very far but I did enjoy it and it gave me a buzz. For some reason I've let in slip but having read this I'm going to take it up again. So thank you. I'll come back and see how you're doing.

 
At 9 June 2011 at 23:03 , Blogger Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Northern Mum, I will keep my eyes peeled, its out there ;)
Kate - i think you are challenging me! right...
Rosie - Go for it, will come and see how you are doing. I use the term running very loosely ;)

 

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home